Trusted Contributor

Re: Dollar Tree breaks the $1 barrier as costs take a bite

I read once that their cost per item had to be no more than 55 cents in order to sell at $1 and still make a profit. Am assuming staying at 55 cents is almost impossible in most cases now. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624    I am also grateful I am retired.   That office gift-giving was brutal.   I was the only ONE on the night shift....barely recognized the other 20 on the day shifts.....but I was "expected" to participate.  What a racket!  

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

I like Dollar Tree for Birthday cards. I normally pick up 2 cards for $1.00.  Other than that I have no use for them. 

Honored Contributor

I had never been in Dollar Tree until the cable guy who came to my house had a stylus I admired and was told it was from Dollar Tree. 

Esteemed Contributor

Oh.....the end of an era.🤪

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

We've gotten hangers there over the years, and the last time DH went for some, the pack was down by 1/2.

Bound to happen, I guess.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I've noticed the Tree has some items in smaller packages that Big Lots and other discount stores haven't. My Tree is always busy with people buying artificial flowers, helium balloons, and, I've noticed seniors buying the food items in the smaller containers. I hope they continue keeping everything a dollar. It sets them apart from every other store.

Super Contributor

Yeah....I'm already 'mourning' the Holidays without any family connection whatsoever.
Gifts that were well thought-out, checks, cash LOVE or any spot of communication has never once been acknowledged/appreciated. Sorry to be off-topic.....I do like The Family Dollar for casual shopping and surprising 'finds'
Trusted Contributor

They also sell a line of Hallmark cards for $1 each.

Respected Contributor

Of all the 'dollar' stores, we like Dollar Tree the best.

You can get some great bargains there. Cards, wrapping paper, gift bags, etc. DH buys some king of spray cleaner for the car tires. I buy lots of crossword puzzles, find a word books, etc. I also stock up on pens, a pack of 10 for a buck - the pens aren't fancy, but they last a long time.