Respected Contributor

@sunshine 919 wrote:

When I am baking for someone I go to the dollar store and purchase zip lock containers and I don't have to worry about getting the container back.Smiley Happy

I do the same. If I make a big cake or dessert, I get my containers there along with a big spoon so I don't have to worry about cleaning it and bringing it back. It can get tossed when it's empty. Since I rarely make desserts anymore, I don't feel like it's a waste of money. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dollar General Stores

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr, I found out recently that it´s called Dollar General because everything isn´t a dollar. Dollar Tree and Family Dollar are one dollar I believe. With Dollar General it´s generally you can get somethings for a dollar but not everything.

Honored Contributor

Dollar Tree is the one that sales everything for a $1.00.  Somethings I do not buy there because paying a dollar for it would be too much.  Dollar General and Family Dollar do have items above the $10.00 mark but most items are cheaper than at Walmart and your local grocery stores.  We have many of all three in my city and some are so clean and bright while others are pretty gross.  Plastics and paper items along with cards are my main purchases at the stores.  Never food.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

My local Dollar Tree carries food.

I buy their pickles, ,so much cheaper than a grocery store

@beckyb1012 wrote:

Dollar Tree is the one that sales everything for a $1.00.  Somethings I do not buy there because paying a dollar for it would be too much.  Dollar General and Family Dollar do have items above the $10.00 mark but most items are cheaper than at Walmart and your local grocery stores.  We have many of all three in my city and some are so clean and bright while others are pretty gross.  Plastics and paper items along with cards are my main purchases at the stores.  Never food.

Valued Contributor

I love Dollar General -- mainly cleaning supplies and paper products but also sodas/coffee and shampoo and such.  Always shop on Saturdays and use the digital coupons.  They regularly have $5 off $25 but in reality it discounts every single item purchased by 10% or more.

Esteemed Contributor

Love the dollar stores... all of them. 

Honored Contributor
So far, never. The ones here are NOT clean (all the dollar type stores). I also don’t trust them or the ingredients, especially food items, toiletries etc. Nope.
Honored Contributor

I've never been to a Dollar General because a lot of crime happens at the ones in our metro.....drugs, robberies, pick pockets, assaults.   It doesn't matter if the store is in a poor part of town or the elite parts, police are always there for some reason.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dollar General Stores

[ Edited ]

Am not a fan of Dollar General but do like Dollar Tree. There is not a Dollar General anywhere near us but Dollar Trees are popping up everywhere. I would be concerned if the sticker said Dollar General on it....I would think maybe it was an irregular or somehow imperfect..,which is fine, but not for toothpaste or anything else I would be eating or putting in my mouth or on my skin. I have shopped in Dollar General a couple of times while in other towns; they seemed overpriced for what they were selling. Jmo

Honored Contributor

A wonderful lady on these boards had mentioned many years ago how much she liked Totally Awesome Prewash Stain Remover. It is sold at Dollar Tree for $1. I used it and liked it. In fact it did a much better job at removing stains than the Tide Stain Release pacs, I had been using.

Then everytime I went into Dollar Tree the Totally Awesome Prewash Stain Remover was not on the shelves. I ended up soaking everything in Oxyclean. Well, finally the the The Stain Remover was back. I picked up 2 bottles. So much easier to just spray the stain and throw it in the washer. Than soaking the item in Oxyclean.