Respected Contributor

Re: Dogs on Restaurant Patios Approved By Gov. Brown

I would hope that anyone with a badly-behaved dog would refrain from bringing the dog to a restaurant. Most people know if their dogs are disruptive or not. A well-behaved dog wouldn't even be noticed by most people anyway. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Super Contributor

I wonder if people realize that outdoor patios draw lots of birds who walk all over the tables. In coastal places, that include gulls who swarm the tables. I would imagine birds could have some pretty dirty feet.

Dogs usually sit on the floor and don't walk around on the table.

Outdoor dining just can't be antiseptic and if stuff like that bothers you, it would probably be better to eat inside.

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 azterry! said:

I wonder if people realize that outdoor patios draw lots of birds who walk all over the tables. In coastal places, that include gulls who swarm the tables. I would imagine birds could have some pretty dirty feet.

Dogs usually sit on the floor and don't walk around on the table.

Outdoor dining just can't be antiseptic and if stuff like that bothers you, it would probably be better to eat inside.

That's a REALLY good point.

And late at night...there are lots of creatures roaming the outdoor patios in NYC!!!!

Honored Contributor

I'm sure at night, after the restaurants close, all kinds of critters invade those outdoor patios, drawn to them by food odors. I'd say they get visits from raccoons, skunks, small rodents, etc.

I'll still eat outside, knowing this.

Honored Contributor

Terrier, looks like you and I had the same thought.Smile

Honored Contributor

Many boaters take their dogs with them so it is not out of the norm for us to pull up and dock at a restaurant to eat and dogs are on the patio.

The only issue I ever had was one guy kept throwing a ball into the river and his dog was jumping in to retrieve it, climbing back up on the patio and shaking off, flinging water everywhere. I was more concerned though about the dog jumping into the river and cutting himself on a boat prop.

Valued Contributor

On 8/28/2014 minkbunny said:

Given my preference, I would prefer to eat at a table where a dog was not nearby.

Me too, Minkbunny....I still wonder who is responsible if a pet hurts someone, the business or pet owner? And is it just dogs allowed or all pets? .......and if weather is not good, are people going to expect to be able bring their pets inside?

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 Jannabelle said:
On 8/28/2014 minkbunny said:

Given my preference, I would prefer to eat at a table where a dog was not nearby.

Me too, Minkbunny....I still wonder who is responsible if a pet hurts someone, the business or pet owner? And is it just dogs allowed or all pets? .......and if weather is not good, are people going to expect to be able bring their pets inside?

i too wonder about people who have things like pet snakes or rats or whatever weird thing they would get great pleasure from terrorizing everyone else with.

Honored Contributor

On 8/28/2014 Topaz Gem said:

I would hope that anyone with a badly-behaved dog would refrain from bringing the dog to a restaurant. Most people know if their dogs are disruptive or not. A well-behaved dog wouldn't even be noticed by most people anyway. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

There was hamburger place here at one time that had an out door patio and dogs were welcome. We took our shih-tzu who loved being able to go with us. She bothered no one...she was too engrossed in what we were eating. They gave her a treat and a bowl of water...it was nice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Valued Contributor

On 8/28/2014 happy housewife said:

i too wonder about people who have things like pet snakes or rats or whatever weird thing they would get great pleasure from terrorizing everyone else with.

The law specifically states ""pet dogs"". http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140AB1965&search_keywords=