Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dogs on Restaurant Patios Approved By Gov. Brown

On 8/27/2014 kachina624 said: Not in a restaurant, but this morning I went to Walmart and there was a woman with an about 4 mo old golden retriever puppy lying quietly in her grocery cart. I sure wouldn't want to put my food in that cart after a dog had been in it. I'm sure it's probably illegal to bring a dog to a grocery store.

I used to work at Walmart for two years part time & anyone can bring a dog in. Employees aren't even allowed to ask if it's a service dog. Employees actually take a CBL (training) on this. The exception if it's unruly you can get a manager & ask that the dog leave. I have never seen an unruly one & they are very common in our local Walmart.

Honored Contributor

Sounds like the restaurants need dog and no dog sections, like the smoking and no smoking sections. I was in pier 1 yesterday and a man had his dog on a leash walking around. I was surprised the staff ignored it. It was a little dog, but you could hear it's tags rattling.
Super Contributor

I've seen dogs on outdoor dining patios here for a long time. It doesn't bother me at all and I've never seen one single dog misbehave--ever. In general,dogs who have been around people a lot in many situations, know how to behave and are comfortable being in public.

There is a lot of stuff to get upset about in the world today. This is so not one of them.

Respected Contributor

What's next? Dogs in movie theaters? At ball parks? Let's let dogs have the right to enjoy a movie or a ball game. Who will sponsor the bill? Who wants the dog vote?
Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 Irshgrl31201 said:
On 8/27/2014 kachina624 said: Not in a restaurant, but this morning I went to Walmart and there was a woman with an about 4 mo old golden retriever puppy lying quietly in her grocery cart. I sure wouldn't want to put my food in that cart after a dog had been in it. I'm sure it's probably illegal to bring a dog to a grocery store.

That is too much and while I love dogs, especially retrievers. They should have been asked to come back with out the dog. OSHA doesn't allow dogs in a grocery cart!

OSHA? I can't think how that applies. I'ts protection for workers, not customers.

I don't think dogs can make an OSHA claim! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Honored Contributor

I'm not a dog owner, but am so used to seeing dogs everywhere I go, where I live.

I think many of you are creating hypothetical problems. dogs that are socialized, don't seem to be a problem to me. We dine out often, on patios where the dogs just sit by the owner's table. There isn't any peeing, pooing, or barking.

Honored Contributor

On 8/27/2014 pupcakes said:

I used to work at Walmart for two years part time & anyone can bring a dog in. Employees aren't even allowed to ask if it's a service dog. Employees actually take a CBL (training) on this. The exception if it's unruly you can get a manager & ask that the dog leave. I have never seen an unruly one & they are very common in our local Walmart.

Does this include the walmart super stores - where they sell groceries ?isn't that against the law?

Honored Contributor

I think dogs are not allowed in our supermarkets, due to health laws, but if the owner keeps them in a carrier or pack, it's accepted. I don't think it's okay to place them in the carts.

Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 chessylady said: What's next? Dogs in movie theaters? At ball parks? Let's let dogs have the right to enjoy a movie or a ball game. Who will sponsor the bill? Who wants the dog vote?

Hahahahaha! Too late.

Pup night at PNC Park!

Super Contributor

On 8/27/2014 KathyPet said:
On 8/27/2014 ------ said:

I live by the beach and dogs and cats can always be seen in the outdoor patios. As long as the owner doesn't let their dog or poop or pee there or let their cat jump on the tables and hiss its fine with me.

I would love to know how a owner is supposed to prevent his dog from peeing or pooping if the dog needs to do that whether on a restaurant patio or anywhere else. if you figure out how to prevent them please let us know.

Have you ever owned a dog? You train them. Then they don't do it.

It's pretty obvious. Good grief.