Honored Contributor

Re: Dogs in the grocery store

@AuntG wrote:

@tropics21 wrote:

that is your opinion, to some of us, our pets are our children, it's apparent you are old school

Well then I'm old school.  I like pets but I know they are not the same as children.  Any child can grow up to be president.  A dog can be a helper and companion - occasionally even a hero, but they are far different than precious children.

I think a well chosen dog would be a welome option this year.

Cat Tongue

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@shoekitty wrote:

Some towns are more dog friendly than others.  In Palo Alto I see dogs in the stores all the time.  Macy's, Neimans the stores and some cafes.  Where I live I have seen small dogs contained in bags or blankets in the grocery store once in a while, but this lis a new occurrence for our town.  It doesn't really bother me because it sort of brings joy when I see them.. But I could imagine some people are afraid of dogs.  I have a friend who goes into a panic when she sees a dog.

as far as cleanliness, I imagine the pups are cleaner than some of the people in the stores!  I love to see service dogs anywhere, they are a great interest to me and I love to see them work.

Now what I would like to know, is why we don't see more cats in the stores!  HMMMM, COULD IT BE THE DELIGHTFUL CRITTERS ARE A LITTLE HARD TO STUFF IN THOSE CUTE BAGS.  Lol. Oh yeah!  I can just see my Sushi sitting in a cart at the store right now, hahahahha ppppffffiitttt. Phhhhiiittt. Spit 😼😺😺🙀😹

Oh @shoekitty I just had to thank you for my first laugh out loud of the day . . . good heavens that was funny! . . .   Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

So, do people who think dogs should be banned from grocery stores have dogs in their homes?

Or are they banned there too?

Really not a relevant comparison.  In the privacy of your home you are free to do what you please.  When in public there are others to be considered and expected behaviors. It is called living in a society.

My question was really about the cleanliness issue some people seem to have.

And thank you for pointing out what living in a society means.  I was raised by wolves.

Cat Tongue

The public should have a level of cleanliness and safety with their food sources.  There are many rules and regulations in place to assure that.  Giving animals free reign in these places appears to be one rule many would like to see enforced.  What you choose to do in your home is not my concern.

No one is suggesting animals be given "free reign" in grocery stores.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The military hospital I go to has a sign that says service dogs including psychiatric service dogs are allowed but emotional support dogs are not.  It then explains the difference, mainly training.  I am tired of all emotional support dogs being everywhere.

Honored Contributor

I really doubt that most dog owners want to drag their dogs into every store they visit.

I don't see this scenario of stores being overrun by wild dogs that some seem to fear.

Esteemed Contributor

@traveler wrote:

The military hospital I go to has a sign that says service dogs including psychiatric service dogs are allowed but emotional support dogs are not.  It then explains the difference, mainly training.  I am tired of all emotional suport dogs being everywhere.

If a dog is needed, for whatever reason, and has gone through the proper training and certification process, then they should be properly identified and welcome anywhere.  All other dogs should be restricted to "dog friendly" establishments.  Stores, restaurants etc should be able to decide if they want to be dog friendly and be able to enforce that without fear of retaliation. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

In fact though , no matter how much Noel tries to quote to us all these odd ball possibilities - the fact is these are simply pets and nothing else.-- and they are not covered by the Americans with disabilities act. This situation is absolutely ridiculous these days that you can hardly go anywhere without people bringing their - usually very poorly trained - dogs.

@151949

You didn't read your own line?

Yes, they are covered by the Americans With Disabilities Act.  I provided you with the laws and ADA reference, too bad you ignored them.

You say you are a nurse.  I find it hard to believe you don't know what a service dog is.

@Noel7@151949  Her highlighted line in red is referring to the dogs that are not service dogs - and THOSE dogs are indeed not covered by the ADA.  She is referring to PETS - service dogs are not pets in the general sense and you are advised not to treat them as such by their owners.

I've already posted my disdain for yet another thread about service dogs but her above line was misinterpreted.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

I really doubt that most dog owners want to drag their dogs into every store they visit.

I don't see this scenario of stores being overrun by wild dogs that some seem to fear.

So what do you see?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

So what do you see?

I see (and yes, I have seen) well behaved dogs on leashes.  And I don't see packs of them.  Just one or two here and there in a store.

Occasionally (maybe 3 times in the past 15 years) a small dog in a woman's bag or riding in a cart in TJMaxx.

That's it.

No roving wild bands of dogs.

Super Contributor

I'll take the dog over cranky old people any day!