Honored Contributor

When we are in Pa we stay in a very small town with only one grocery store. There is a very large plan here where they have senior housing from independant homes up to skilled nursing and there is a daily bus to the grocery store. Lately we have noticed a lot of people in the store with dogs in their grocery carts. What the heck???? One dog I saw was very dirty and smelled terrible. He was beside me at the deli counter. So I asked the manager about it and she said they are "service dogs" and the law says they are allowed. i doubted this and looked it up. Actually only guide dogs for the blind are allowed and even then not if they are in an area where food could be contaminated. It is a federal law - as grocery stores are under the Department of Agriculture -that pets are not allowed in grocery stores and  "emotional support" dogs whose only qualification is obtained from the internet are not service dogs but are, in fact, just pets. It seems that these individuals are just constantly pushing the limits over this and every time no one pushes back they just go further. I saw one wearing a diaper in the shopping cart -- gross!!! How far are we as a society going to allow with this? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Dogs in the grocery store

[ Edited ]

I cannot tell you the number of times I've noticed a small dog inside a woman's handbag or small carrier, in a cart as I'm grocery shopping.

I've never seen walking a dog through the grocery store.

I know dogs are allowed in our Home Depot.  You can walk right in with them. 

I absolutely love dogs but I don't want a grocery store full of them. 

Esteemed Contributor

@151949, if you google ," germs on grocery carts"  you will see a lot worse germs than dogs provide...............

I find it wonderful these people can take their beloved dogs shopping with them.I hope that spreads everywhere.

Honored Contributor

I think smelly people and gerrmy kids should stay outside and doggies should shop!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I cannot tell you the number of times I've noticed a small dog inside a woman's handbag or small carrier, in a cart as I'm grocery shopping.

I've never seen walking a dog through the grocery store.

I know dogs are allowed in our Home Depot.  You can walk right in with them. 

Most of the ones I have seen are in the child seat of the grocery cart - not on a leash or restrained in any way. Could bite anyone, jump out of the cart - who knows! AND it is against the law for a reason - for the public welfare.I love dogs but this is disgusting. One man was walking around with a golden retreiver just shedding all over the place.

Honored Contributor

I love dogs but not in grocery stores.

This thread sounds familiar.

Honored Contributor

What about people who sneeze and cough in the produce aisle?  Or at the salad bar?

Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

What about people who sneeze and cough in the produce aisle?  Or at the salad bar?

That's another thread.  Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

That's another thread.  Woman Happy

Oh, heck, why not put all the grocery nasty in one thread?

Cat Tongue

Esteemed Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

and kids that poop, p, and throw up,  in diapers or even worse on the floor and the adults that taste and then  return food items to the shelf...............yukkkk