Respected Contributor

Re: Dogs in the grocery store

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Mama Mia wrote:

This may have been said, but rather a dog than a poopy pants kid sitting in the cart, or running all over screaming,

mm

If all parents do not control their children, what makes you think all pet owners will control their dogs.

I keep seeing this argument that kids are just as dirty as dogs. First of all, equating humans to dogs is dumb. Second, kids wear diapers. If your dog takes a ****** on the grocery store cart, what's going to catch it? Could you imagine a dog peeing and pooping in a grocery cart? It's disgusting. Who is going to clean that up, and who would want to use that cart after that?

So all you dog in grocery store defenders, would it be ok with you if my brother brings his pet snake and rat into the store?

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Valued Contributor

OP, if it bugs you, call the Health Department and report the store.  They'll know what's legal and what isn't.  Talking about it here won't solve your problem.

Respected Contributor

The pets, service dogs and comfort dogs that I've seen, are far better behaved than many children that are out and about.

For me, I'll tolerate a dog far more than the parent who doesn't control their kid(s).

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I cannot tell you the number of times I've noticed a small dog inside a woman's handbag or small carrier, in a cart as I'm grocery shopping.

I've never seen walking a dog through the grocery store.

I know dogs are allowed in our Home Depot.  You can walk right in with them. 

I absolutely love dogs but I don't want a grocery store full of them. 

We were just recently told we are no longer allowed to bring our dog into Home Depot Smiley Sad

I wonder if there was a problem......

(and we carry our little girl in)

@Abrowneyegirl  Somebody may have complained.  Maybe the same person who doesn't like them in grocery stores.

Home Depot advertises themselves as a pet friendly store.  More likely there were incidents with unruly dogs which caused management to now have a no pet policy.  It only takes a few people to ruin it for all.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

This thread reminds me of the time on RHOBH Ken & Lisa took "Giggy" to a dinner party at Adrienne's home and her table was set with very expensive crystal wine glasses.

Ken let Giggy drink water out of his glass, then he drank from the same glass after Giggy finished!  LOL

Adrienne about had a fit.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love dogs but don't think they should be allowed in any stores UNLESS they are seeing eye or medical helper dogs.

Why? My husband (and I'm sure there are many others) is deathly allergic to dogs. As in he cant breathe, has to go outside, and has a severe asthma attack, if he is in the company of a dog for 20 minutes. But I assume no one thinks of this. But anyway, if any dog is in a place he just leaves. (And no, allergy shots dont work for him as far as dogs, only work for cats and his million other allergies).

To add: I have never seen any dogs in stores or restaurants here, (other than ones used to help people), except at the pet store (where they allow them) And i live in PA.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Regular Contributor

there are unappetizing humans to!!!  I worry more about a human..Not fond of dogs?? Heartless I say..Own one and see just how special they are!!!!!!!  shame that you were not taught to love all animals..

Esteemed Contributor

What about people who own dogs or cats that shed profusely? Their clothing can be covered in pet hair and dander.
Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U

I wouldn't worry if I were you.  The ADA's reserch says no one is likely to react because a grocery store is not the same as a dog owner's house or sitting near a dog for any length of time, and that people won't react.  I have asthma, also.

If your husband was in danger from a dog walking through a store, I would think he would be in danger pretty much everywhere because dogs are almost everywhere and dropping their hair and DNA as they stroll.

Honored Contributor

@lyn61 wrote:

there are unappetizing humans to!!!  I worry more about a human..Not fond of dogs?? Heartless I say..Own one and see just how special they are!!!!!!!  shame that you were not taught to love all animals..

First of all, no one knows who you're speaking to.

Second, not wanting dogs *everywhere* does not equate to "hating dogs" in a sane world.

Shame that you can't distinguish that.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all