Honored Contributor

Re: Dog guards ruins of Paradise, California home for a month after owner fled Camp Fire

@sidsmom wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I’m confused.

The owners didn’t take their pets when they fled the fires?

@sidsmom

The Paradise area had NO warning of the fires till they suddenly appeared over a ridge and many died in their cars trying to escape.

These dogs were "outdoor guard dogs" according to the article in the OP and most animals sense fire and danger and run for safety, where their owners can't find them.

@KingstonsMom

Thanks for the response.

The California Fire story came on so quickly & with so many details,

I missed that part.  Such a sad story. 

@sidsmom

You're right, the fire was devastation all the way around, for humans and animals.Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dog guards ruins of Paradise, California home for a month after owner fled Camp Fire

I too saw this.  Very heart warming.  And thanks to the person that left the food and water daily so this animal could do his job.

These dogs are so smart.  

Esteemed Contributor

I would never leave my dog.  My parent used to own property in Paradise, thankful they sold it.

Respected Contributor

There is nothing like the love and loyalty of a dog for his humans. Heart

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

I would swear that this dog is a Gr. Pyrenees, doesn't look like a mix, a guard dog to the max, I used to have one.  The picture below is an Anatolian Shepherd.

Image result for anatolian shepherd pictures

Honored Contributor

I would swear that this dog is a Gr. Pyrenees or Kuvasz, doesn't look like a mix, a guard dog to the max, I used to have a Pyr.   The first picture below is an Anatolian Shepherd, the second is a Kuvasz..

Image result for anatolian shepherd picturesKuvasz standing in three-quarter view facing forward

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl

AS_GP mix

This dog is a Great Pyrenees/Anatolian cross.

Anatolian

Then here are two Anatolians -- one with a mask, one without.

But you're right, Madison seems a little "fluffy" in that photo.  In other photos he's not.

Madison

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

@barrel racer wrote:

I would never leave my dog.  My parent used to own property in Paradise, thankful they sold it.

@barrel racer, what particularly irks me about your statement is that it presumes some fault or moral deficiency on the part of pet owners in Paradise or elsewhere.

You have no idea what you would or wouldn't do in a situation such as this. Some dogs ran away; others wouldn't budge. And now you are surrounded by wind-blown flames that many didn't survive even without pets.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Beautiful dog, dogs truly are angels on Earth. Their loyalty and unconditional love knows no bounds. Too bad humans can't be more like them.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

OMG I saw this on the news this morning.

reminds me of the movie "A Dog's Life"  so bittersweet.  I could never watch it again.