Honored Contributor

Dog guards ruins of Paradise, California home for a month after owner fled Camp Fire

[ Edited ]

Madison

A dog that survived the catastrophic wildfire in Northern California apparently protected the ruins of his home for almost a month until his owner returned.

Madison was there waiting when Andrea Gaylord was allowed back to check on her burned property in Paradise this week.

Gaylord fled when the November 8 Camp Fire broke out and decimated the town of 27,000.

An animal rescuer who responded to Gaylord's request to check on Madison first spotted the male Anatolian shepherd mix several days later.

Shayla Sullivan said the outdoor guard dog was apprehensive and kept his distance.

Sullivan left food and water for him regularly until Gaylord got back this week.

She also helped locate Madison's brother Miguel, another Anatolian shepherd mix that was taken to a shelter 135 kilometers away in the confusing aftermath of the wildfire.

"If [the evacuees] can't be there I'm going to be and I'm not going to give up on their animal until they can get back in," Sullivan said.

The dogs reunited on Friday when Gaylord came back to the property with Miguel and brought Madison his favorite treat: A box of Wheat Thins crackers.

Gaylord told news station ABC10 she could not ask for a better animal.

"Imagine the loyalty of hanging in in the worst of circumstances and being here waiting," she said.

"Their instinctual job is to watch the flocks and we're part of them."

"It's a comforting feeling."

(ABC Australia)

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Re: Dog guards ruins of Paradise, California home for a month after owner fled Camp Fire

@just bee

Awesome! Thanks for posting this!Heart

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Dog guards ruins of Paradise, California home for a month after owner fled Camp Fire

I don’t know whether to cry or clap.😢👏

But I do love the “Wheat Thins” crackers!  🐾💕

Honored Contributor

Madison wasn't the only dog who kept watch.

While her home didn’t survive the Camp Fire blaze, Ella the Border Collie did.

Leahna Copsey’s house in Paradise, California, was destroyed in the devastating wildfire — as were many on the block. Though one remained standing, and when authorities arrived to survey the damage, they found the family’s dog, Ella, standing watch over the surviving residence.

“She was protecting it,” Copsey told Visalia Times-Delta. “She was protecting the only house left on the block.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

Wow, that dog takes his job seriously!

Esteemed Contributor

Madison is a beautiful angel. Loyal and loving, just waiting for his owner.

So happy that he survived. 

Honored Contributor

My husband had me watch the VIDEO just before I checked in here. Absolutely gorgeous dogs.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I’m confused.

The owners didn’t take their pets when they fled the fires?

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I’m confused.

@sidsmom

The Paradise area had NO warning of the fires till they suddenly appeared over a ridge and many died in their cars trying to escape.

These dogs were "outdoor guard dogs" according to the article in the OP and most animals sense fire and danger and run for safety, where their owners can't find them.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

I’m confused.

@sidsmom

The Paradise area had NO warning of the fires till they suddenly appeared over a ridge and many died in their cars trying to escape.

These dogs were "outdoor guard dogs" according to the article in the OP and most animals sense fire and danger and run for safety, where their owners can't find them.

@KingstonsMom

Thanks for the response.

The California Fire story came on so quickly & with so many details,

I missed that part.  Such a sad story.