Honored Contributor

Re: Dog fight out on the street

@CelticCrafter wrote:

Hope he goes to the doctor or urgent care because animal bites can get infected really fast.

I agree. Medical care is important.

Uh, yeah...getting involved wasn’t the smartest idea. 

Esteemed Contributor

Almost every person who own a retractable leash does not know how to use it properly, period. 

Your husband should not have tried to break up a dog fight if he did not know how to do it safely i.e. not get bit.

If both dog were small enough to be picked up then the owners should have been able to get them apart simply by walking away.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

When used properly, retractable leashes are just fine.

Your husband should mind his own business.

What her husband did was an honorable thing. Two women in distress (even if it was of their own doing) and he tried to help. 

He is braver than I. Unless it was my dog involved I don't think I would have stepped in, unless it was to turn on the hose and try to separate them that way. 

Honored Contributor

I commend your husband; if it were me, I'd have been afraid to intervene.  And kudos to him for telling off those women.  If a dog on a "retractable" leash ran toward me, I'd probably be kicking it.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Both dogs had rabies tags on their harnesses. Another idiot thing - any dog trainer advises you either use a gentle leader or a collar. Those harnesses don't give you the control. If you don't want the collar around their neck - use a gentle leader to walk them. Guarantee they will behave then. 

Never a collar on a dog. They are so harmful to their neck and throat. 

There are great harnesses/vests now that give you control over the dog's entire middle body, and make them much easier to control. We have had them for our big dogs now for way over a decade. 

Think something like the vest that service dogs wear, but not quite as much coverage on the body. Not those skinny straps kind of harnesses of the past.

Honored Contributor

The dogs were small white fluffy ones. The owners were useless - one crying the other calling help help.All my DH did was pick up the crying womans dog - who turned and bit his arm, he tried to hand the dog to her and she stood there , not taking it, until he said TAKE THE DOG. and she did. He then was able to pick up the other dog and hand it to it's owner. That dog scratched him with her claws - I don't think it bit him. 

Honored Contributor

Image result for dog harnesses that attach to seat belts.

Something similar to this, I can't find a picture of the one we have but it covers a bit more of the dog underneath. These even have a loop to put the seat belt through to hold them in place in the car. 

THis give you much more control of the dog's body and strength, and they don't do damage to the neck/throat when they pull against  you for some reason.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  Thanks for the weimaraner picture. Makes me miss my lovely girls though. Both our weims were professionally trained by a man who trains show dogs and he used a gentle leader until they learned their commands - then a collar - which never hurt them because they were well trained and didn't yank on their leash. They actually rarely had a leash on as they were reliable to follow commands. All we had to do was say their name and they stopped in their tracks and turned around for the command. Of course, we weren't walking our dogs in traffic or any of the other stupid things I see people doing with dogs these days.

Respected Contributor

Could have used a HOSE and sprayed the dogs with WATER.  

OR toss a bucket of water on them.

Throw a blanket over one of the dogs

Separate with a Pillow

Tap one dog lightly with a rolled up newspaper

Offer the dogs a ride in the car

Honored Contributor

Monday morning at the Q.                 

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson