Honored Contributor

2 women walking their dogs on those stupid leashes that go out really far so the dog can just pulls and goes out as far as he wants. Well, they meet and the dogs start fighting. Not a little either - full bore fight, blood and white fluffy fur all over. The owners not doing anything, one crying the other yelling for help.My DH goes out and pulls the dogs apart.Gets bit in the process. Both women assure him the dogs have all their shots up to date. He lets into them about the point of having a dog on a leash is so the owner has control of the dog, and if you can't control your dog you shouldn't have one, and if your dog can't behave out in public you need to walk it in your yard only. The woman who was crying tells him he's the meanest man she ever met. Meanwhile he's bleeding because her dog bit him ! And even though they are both holding their dogs in their arms the dogs are still wiggling and trying to get to each other. Another neighbor tells them they are lucky if my husband doesn't call the police and they should get the dogs home. BTW - several people watching this happen - only my DH was brave enough to get in there and pull the dogs apart.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dog fight out on the street

9CAAEC80-ADB3-4757-9EDE-F2D423D0F59D.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Those retractable leashes are just terrible.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

It’s amazing to me how obtuse some dog owners can be. DH and I walk in our neighborhood and occasionally meet someone walking their dog. Most owners will rein in their adjustable leash so the dog sits at their feet or cross the street. Recently we encountered a woman walking a smaller dog who seemed harmless. As we got close, the dog lunged at us and the owner retracted the leash just before it reached us. She said something I didn’t understand and we kept going. The next week, this same dog went after a bigger dog on its street. Although its owner pulled it back and picked it up, it continued to lunge at the other dog from its owner’s arms. 

In your husband’s situation, I wouldn’t have gone near those dogs for fear of being attacked. Although both owners said their dogs were current on their shots, I’d recommend getting proof, if possible. The woman who called your husband mean is just a moron. Around here, you could report her dog to the police and she could be fined for failure to control her dog, possibly have the dog taken away from her. I hope your husband’s recuperating from the dog bites. 

Honored Contributor

When used properly, retractable leashes are just fine.

Your husband should mind his own business.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949  That was nice of your husband.  However, if the owners couldn't control their animals, then I would have let them kill each other.  I wouldn't put myself in harm's way.  Stupid owners.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

When used properly, retractable leashes are just fine.

Your husband should mind his own business.

SMH - the point of a leash is to have control over the dog.Those leashes give no control. If they were on regular leashes the women could have just pulled them apart by backing up from each other - the dogs wouldn't have any choice.

Honored Contributor

Both dogs had rabies tags on their harnesses. Another idiot thing - any dog trainer advises you either use a gentle leader or a collar. Those harnesses don't give you the control. If you don't want the collar around their neck - use a gentle leader to walk them. Guarantee they will behave then. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Those retractable leashes are just terrible.

I agree. Worst idea ever. Allow the dog to be the one in charge.Yep, that's a great idea.

Honored Contributor

Hope he goes to the doctor or urgent care because animal bites can get infected really fast.