Trusted Contributor

Dog Leash That Shocks & Chokes? - My Neighbor is Using One

I witnessed an elderly neighor with her beautiful dog yesterday.  The dog is on a leash, kept very close to her side.  When another dog and owner walked by her dog started to bark, but then it looked like she pressed a button on the leash and he got a shock or something and was choking!

It happened again as the dog started to bark, all of a sudden, he is gagging, shaking his head and quiets down when she says no.   Another neighbor I confided in said she knows she has a collar that shocks the dog to not bark or act up.

Have any of you heard of such a thing for discipline?   The dog is just being a dog, wanting to interact with other dogs.   I know this woman took him to obedience school, I just can't imagine them using such devices.

I had to run inside after witnessing this dog gagging after trying to bark. It made me sick to my stomach.   Both the other neighbor and I agree that this woman has a controlling personality, where she always has to be right and knows everything.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Dog Leash That Shocks & Chokes? - My Neighbor is Using One

I should probably copy this to the Pet Lovers forum too, but it won't let me cut and paste.

Honored Contributor

Dogs are very forgiving ceatures, but this one just might try to run away or bite if it gets a chance.

Trusted Contributor

He's a very gentle dog and was from a rescue place.  According to the other neighbor, he was locked in a cage most of his young life.   I just think it was cruel and unnecessary.   The dog is just reacting to other dogs and doesn't deserve the pain she was causing him.  He was trying to bark and then gagging and coughing when the shock came or the leash tightened.

Honored Contributor

Daring Greatly:::  I copied and pasted your post in Pet Lovers.  You may want to check there for comments/replies.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

I hope the poor dog is a very quick learner Smiley Sad

Trusted Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

Daring Greatly:::  I copied and pasted your post in Pet Lovers.  You may want to check there for comments/replies.

Thanks so much.  It wouldn't paste for me.

Super Contributor

@DARING GREATLY wrote:

He's a very gentle dog and was from a rescue place.  According to the other neighbor, he was locked in a cage most of his young life.   I just think it was cruel and unnecessary.   The dog is just reacting to other dogs and doesn't deserve the pain she was causing him.  He was trying to bark and then gagging and coughing when the shock came or the leash tightened.

The dog may bite.  If you are so concerned, contact Animal Control in Phoenix.  

Honored Contributor

So sad that animals fall into the grips of people without feelings. If this is a neighbor, I would report her to animal rights groups in your city. 

Trusted Contributor

If you know the agency this dog's rescue went through, I would call that agency and share your concerns with them.  In our area if you "rescue" a dog, and there are problems, workers at the rescue agency will try to intervene so the dog does not have to go through the trauma of being put in a shelter again.  Unless, of course if there is reason to believe the dog is being abused, removal may be the only option.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta