Honored Contributor

Re: Doesn't McDonald's SPAM burger sound appetizing?

My husband loves Spam, I don't eat it.  He'll throw away the bun, he's on low carb to keep his sugars down.  

Honored Contributor

When I saw this story, it reminded me of the time when we were in the China Beijing airport.

Since we were flying back home to America it was an international flight.  This happened back in September, 2001.  Because the US wasn't allowing any planes to fly for a while, people were stranded everywhere all over the world.  They couldn't fly home.

We were fortunate that the ban was lifted and we were able to fly on the day we were supposed to, but there were many Americans who went to the airport everyday and tried to fly home on standby.  They were not allowed to fly home, so they were stuck for a week or so.

The airport businesses were delighted that they had all of these travelers there for hours and they would actually come out into the hallway and invite you inside to try their wonderful foods.  They were very competitive.

One such man was announcing that he had real American hamburgers.  There were 14 of us in our group and 10 people were tired of Chinese food and that burger sounded great, so they followed him into his resturant.

My DH and I and another couple went to a different resturant.   After a while we could hear screaming laughter.  We wondered why and who was doing that.  Well, it was the 10 people who ordered the real American Hamburgers.  When their burgers arrived, it was a slice of a spam on a bun.  

The Chinese thought hamburgers were made with ham.  We all had a good laugh, but the man who owned the resturant was confused.  He was so proud to serve real American hamburgers.

I think McD will do well with their spamburgers.  The Chinese resturants already have been serving them for at least 20 years.  Maybe the idea of getting dessert thrown in on top will entice them to buy from McD.

Trusted Contributor

My parents always had SPAM in the house along with sardines, deviled ham, smoked oysters, bologna, liverwurst and kippered herring. WWII fare.

My dad would fry up SPAM and kielbasa with pancakes and scrambled eggs for Saturday breakfast. Always with rye or pumpernickel toast with lots of butter.

I still have sardines in the house and canned salmon from those days but not SPAM or the others. Fried SPAM and fried kielbasa and baloney weren't that bad but I don't eat that way anymore.

However, I did treat myself to a holiday McRib yesterday! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

If they are actually producing such a missmash, I do think I just died a little.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

Absolutely nothing that has as it source, meat/fish or fowl, sounds even good to me. Appetizing?  Uh, no!

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I really thought Spam was no longer made? The fact that it is still around and people actually eat it, fascinates me. I would think the health repercussions would be enough to scare anyone but clearly that's not the case if it is being paired with Oreos...

Esteemed Contributor

Just the thought of it makes me want to vomit 🤮🤢

Honored Contributor

It sounds awful. Some might buy it just to see what it tastes like but I won't be one of them.

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

I really thought Spam was no longer made? The fact that it is still around and people actually eat it, fascinates me. I would think the health repercussions would be enough to scare anyone but clearly that's not the case if it is being paired with Oreos...

I guess this is not what they eat when recovering from covid-19.  I can't imagine anyone recovering with that crud in your belly. 

Honored Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

Oh my!  That sounds just disgusting.........

@4kitties 

Disgusting ... revolting .... I can't believe anyone would willingly eat that stuff.  ugh.