Respected Contributor

Doesn't McDonald's SPAM burger sound appetizing?

BEIJING (AP) — McDonald’s is selling a sandwich made of Spam topped with crushed Oreo cookies Monday in China in an attention-grabbing move that has raised eyebrows.

Global brands from restaurants to automakers sometimes roll out offbeat products to appeal to Chinese tastes in the populous and intensely competitive market.

This is undoubtedly one of them.

“I thought it was delicious,” said a comment signed Feifei Mao Enthusiast on the Sina Weibo microblog service. “Is that because I love McDonald’s too deeply? Or is something wrong with my taste?”

The sandwich is made of two slices of Spam, a product of Hormel Foods LLC, and Mondelez International’s Oreo cookies, topped with mayonnaise.

McDonald’s Corp. said the sandwich was part of a series of “members only” promotions to be released on Mondays in China.

“There is no need to release unnecessary products,” said a comment left on the company’s microblog account. It received more than 2,000 “likes.”

McDonald’s said it planned to sell no more than 400,000 of the “Lunchmeat Burgers.” It wasn’t clear how many have been sold or how many people who flooded social media with scathing comments had eaten one.

“When you hate someone but have to invite him to dinner, you can ask him to eat McDonald’s Oreo lunchmeat burger,” said a separate comment on Sina Weibo.

___

Respected Contributor

Re: Doesn't McDonald's SPAM burger sound appetizing?

Oh my!  That sounds just disgusting.........

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Valued Contributor

Wow. Just wow. That sounds totally awful.  However, in my travels, I was surprised to know that spam is pretty popular in some Asian countries.  I was told that in the postwar eras American troops gave spam in their relief packages to famine and war-torn areas and it literally saved lives. So the affection for spam persists.  I have never eaten spam myself so I shouldn't knock it but the oreo and mayo thing really throws me off!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Take off the cookie crumbs, change the mayo to mustard then grill the spam and it would be like the occasional "spamwich" I make at home.

Just a guess but with the above modifications the sandwich could do well in Hawaii.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Growing up in a typical middle-class household  during the 1950s-60s, we occasionally had a quick-fried slice of ham-based SPAM on our plates.

But the addition of Oreos and mayo makes me glad not to be part of McD's culinary experiment  in China.

Honored Contributor

Why ruin a good Oreo cookie?

Valued Contributor

Soylent Green

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I grew up eating Spam on occasion. It was my dad's favorite thing to make when mom didn't cook. He would slice and fry it and we usually had it with pork 'n beans, made sandwiches or ate it with eggs. I haven't had it in a long time but both dh and I like it! Doesn't sound very appetizing with Oreos though!🤢 When my ds's were growing up, they refused to eat it!(along with Vienna sausages, Deviled ham and Sardines) they use to call it post depression food! 😁

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Trusted Contributor

@novamc1   🤢

Respected Contributor

Oreos. Here I was expecting pineapple, and that they'd serve it on a Hawaiian bread bun with a spicy sweet secret sauce. But of course, that they'd offer it HERE, their proving ground, the place that made their name.

Oreos and Spam. It doesn't make any sense.