Honored Contributor

Re: Does your city have bird scooters?

No. Do they have a gps on them?

Trusted Contributor

We don't have the scooters but we do have a program with bikes. It's run by the company that's in charge of the city buses. Seems to be pretty popular.

Honored Contributor

I've heard about all this urban fuss over scooters but really don't understand whats going on.  Perhaps the OP could explain?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 I’m not up to speed (ha) on all the issues....but I know that riders are supposed to use them in streets (obeying traffic laws) but, instead, folks are breezing by on sidewalks—-which is dangerous to pedestrians. I think the app and where people were leaving were not working optimally either. I think there were some significant accidents, too, which caused the Mayors office to rethink them....

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Thanks for posting the photo. They are actually officially called “bird scooters” in my city.

That's only because "Bird" is the main manufacturer/distributor in the SF Bay Area.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

have heard of scooters before, but never heard the term  "bird scooters." i looked it up and quite recently we have a business called BIRD. you can rent a scooter and scoot around town. it launched five days ago. we supposedly have about 62 of them ready to rent. you can download the app to your smartphone.

we have bike share, light rail, zip cars, plenty of bus choices, uber/taxis, pedicabs,  even horse drawn carriages.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

We have a program named Green Bike.  It's only for the downtown area.   You buy a membership, then you can unlock a bike from the station and ride it to another station and lock it up.  It's been popular especially since it's difficult to drive downtown and park, especially during lunchtime and special events.  I don't have the energy to peddle my arse around town anymore, so I opt to take the train which makes frequent stops.

Honored Contributor

We have Citi Bike in Manhattan, which is expanding to other areas, and we now have LIME bike in Westchester

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

I live in Dallas. We have those rental bikes and now the scooters. What a mess! Thousands of those bikes, all different companies, strewn about in piles, left on sidewalks, thrown into trees and lakes, broken and and discarded in residential neighborhoods, and people even ride the train with them only to junk the bikes in suburban neighborhoods. It can take weeks, sometimes months, for the bike companies to retrieve the bikes IF they even bother.  I doubt the experience with scooters will be much different.

Honored Contributor

Glad to know what a bird scooter is, I had a lot of weird pictures floating thru my head!  LOL

I can understand your fear, I lived near Sun City, AZ and those retired folks with golf carts are scary!!

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)