Valued Contributor

Re: Does your bank call you "just to check on you"?

haha, no! 

If they did, I would kindly ask them to stop. I think it is odd.... once is fine but on a regular basis, no. 

Honored Contributor

No and I never heard of any bank doing such a thing not even with people who are in their 90's.  It sounds bizarre to me.  Whatever you do don't give out any information.  It sounds like you like those call; if you were a relative of mine, I advise that you just hang up and don't even speak to the person.  Next time, tell them that all you need is hard cold cash.  

Honored Contributor

My bank called me with a line similar to that.....I was irritated to say the least because they left a message for me to call them, I thought something was wrong.....good grief.  I was told by a friend that the tellers were required to make x number of call a day.  If I get another call I will call the bank and talk to the PTB and make a formal complaint.

Got a similar call from my chriopractor...asking if there was anything they could do for me, sheesh!!  I told her if I needed to make an appointment I would, business must have been slow.

Honored Contributor

Actually about once a year, our bank does call and asks if there is anything we need, or have any questions, concerns,etc...It didn't annoy me, as I said it is only once a year or so, and we have been customers there for over 25 years......

I think it is great, personalized customer service!

I would be annoyed if they called real often though, because it can be overkill, but once a year is perfectly fine with me. 

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I do find it annoying, honestly. My home phone doesn't ring unless its telemarketers and now the bank. I think I will do like some of you suggested and tell them to cut it out. It is overkill.

When I first saw the number come up, I thought someone had got into my account. After that, I quit answering.

Its aggravating, because we had a branch bank in our little town up to about 10 years ago. They shut it down, with all of us in this community asking them to please keep it. Well, they didn't care what we wanted then, and now they suddenly want to know if they can be of help. I guess I could tell them I'd like the branch bank back in my little town so I don't have to drive 15 - 20 miles to bank with them.

Regular Contributor

I have worked in a bank for over 40 years.  Certain positions have sales goals and are compensated on achieving the goals.  Also statistics show that if a client has more than one product at your institution they are more likely to stay with you than moving else where. I no longer work in that type of position because it isn't something that I enjoy.  If I do call a client for any reason they freak out at first because they think something is wrong.  I think the amount of phone calls the poster is receiving is a little much.  We have something called an opt out form that the client can tell us they don't want us to call them and try to sell them something else or tell them about the next new thing. 

It is what it is!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@happycatwrote:

I'm just curious here. My bank has started calling us about every week or so. They say, just to tell us they appreciate our business and see if we need anything. This is new to me.

We haven't come into a financial windfall or anything, its not like we have a million dollars stashed there.

Is this something new the banks are doing?

And when they ask if I need anything, well, what should I be needing? A loan is all I can come up with, and I don't need a loan. Is there anything else they could be doing for me that I am no aware of?

Lol, you could say well, I could use a gallon of milk (or grocery product of your choice) or maybe say yes, could you pick up my dry cleaning for me. 

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Doesn't sound right. Perhaps you should ask directly why all the calls?

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Respected Contributor

Yes, about a week ago, when I returned from my job, there was a message on the machine from JPMC.  The man said we haven't spoken in a year. Honestly, I don't think they ever called before.  I was going to ask at the bank if this was a scam - I wrote down the number.

Respected Contributor

My bank does not do it but I could see it being done as people no longer go in the bank so they are trying to get more of your business. My banks have a travel agency, insurance agency etc connected to them & may be trying to inform you of services you may not know about. I dislike anyone trying to sell me anything & will run the other way but some people may like to be told what is available.