Respected Contributor

Re: Does your bank call you "just to check on you"?

Um, if my bank called me I would telephone my bank directly and asked them if they are doing this. Also, I would ask for the person's name who telephoned me.

Honored Contributor

I was a bank teller for three years back in the early 1980s.  I only waited on customers who were actually in the bank.  I would have been mortified if I was expected to call people trying to sell them products!

Respected Contributor

Yes, my bank calls me about every 6 months to see if I need any of their other services. The same person calls and I know her voice because I have met her at the bank so I'm ok with it. I never need anything thank goodness

Honored Contributor

One bank did this to me, but not every week! They wanted me to meet with their "investment advisor" (translated: sales person on commission, selling non-FDIC insured investments). I politely declined, and after the second call, l asked to not be called again. Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

My pharmacy called about two weeks ago to tell me that I needed to have a prescription refilled.  I thought it was very interesting since my prescription said no refills.  

I wonder if some banks are doing that because of fraud.  I can see how that might be helpful with older clients, especially if they see interesting amounts coming out of the account.  Something like a credit card fraud department calling when they see unexpected charges.

I don't think it is a bad thing; but, if I did not want to be bothered, I would thank them and ask them not to call.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Banking is a business and that business is luring you in to buying their products.

Personal are compensated for selling products. Some individuals can be pushy concerning the matter even when you may not need it.

The bottom line is that it is your money in that bank and you keep them in business. The profits go up and they invest more.

There is an angle to customer service, products and keeping you as a customer.

Honored Contributor

We have a couple of personal bankers who call from time to time. One called recently to tell us that we could get a higher interest rate in one of our accounts by converting it to another type of account. I thought that was encouraging...interest rates are going up.

We also get a lot of calls from one bank that they want us to invest with Merrill Lynch. I have told them we are uninterested but they still call about once a month.

Honored Contributor

@happycatwrote:

I'm just curious here. My bank has started calling us about every week or so. They say, just to tell us they appreciate our business and see if we need anything. This is new to me.

We haven't come into a financial windfall or anything, its not like we have a million dollars stashed there.

Is this something new the banks are doing?

And when they ask if I need anything, well, what should I be needing? A loan is all I can come up with, and I don't need a loan. Is there anything else they could be doing for me that I am no aware of?

@happycat  Our bank does not but I would be skeptical that this might be a scam call, especially if you say "Yes" when they ask if this is you. 

Just don't give out any personal info and for me I would call the bank directly to see if they really are the ones calling.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@happycat

My bank gives EXCELLENT customer service but I call them occasionally to ask a question, they hardly ever call me.  They called me once to tell me about a change in balance requirements to avoid the new fees.  I asked why they called and she said just long time customers (I had been with them since I got my first job)...she said it was just as a  service because for the most part people dont read emails or items sent by mail, or people think its a phising email.......I thought the whole thing was a bit odd and I called the bank's main number to make sure what she told me was legit and it was.......Woman Very Happy   But these days....better to be safe than sorry!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@happycatwrote:

I'm just curious here. My bank has started calling us about every week or so. They say, just to tell us they appreciate our business and see if we need anything. This is new to me.

We haven't come into a financial windfall or anything, its not like we have a million dollars stashed there.

Is this something new the banks are doing?

And when they ask if I need anything, well, what should I be needing? A loan is all I can come up with, and I don't need a loan. Is there anything else they could be doing for me that I am no aware of?

@happycat

Here are some of the things your bank can do for you:

1. Offer higher interest rates on your savings account

2. Offer higher interest rates on CDs

3. Offer interest rates on your checking account

4. Free checks