Honored Contributor

Re: Does your bank call you "just to check on you"?

@qualitygalwrote:

Heavens no, but it's called customer appreciation.  

@qualitygal.  I'd call it a big annoyance and would make sure it only happened once.  Pity the poor employee assigned to this duty.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@fortunewrote:

@happycatwrote:

I'm just curious here. My bank has started calling us about every week or so. They say, just to tell us they appreciate our business and see if we need anything. This is new to me.

We haven't come into a financial windfall or anything, its not like we have a million dollars stashed there.

Is this something new the banks are doing?

And when they ask if I need anything, well, what should I be needing? A loan is all I can come up with, and I don't need a loan. Is there anything else they could be doing for me that I am no aware of?

@happycat

Here are some of the things your bank can do for you:

1. Offer higher interest rates on your savings account

2. Offer higher interest rates on CDs

3. Offer interest rates on your checking account

4. Free checks

Thank you @fortune. Maybe a year or so ago, a lady from the bank did call me and told me if I opened up another savings account, and added it it monthly, I would get a bonus after a year. I did that, and it did amount to a couple hundred dollars. I did think that was a good deal and I appreciated her calling me to suggest it.

I don't think thats the case with this though, since when I did talk to them once when they called they said they appreciated our business and asked if there was anything they could do for us.

Ding, ding, ding! I'm gonna call them back tomorrow and ask for a higher rate on my savings account.

Thank you @fortune! I'll just see what we can do.

Respected Contributor

When I worked in banking 2002-2005, we called customers like that once in a while.   Sometimes we had some special offering going on  and sometimes we called just to check in with them.   Never once a week.   Good grief.

I really didn't like calling at all and usually would 'fake' my calls.  I'd call my home number and pretend like I was leaving a message or talking to someone.  My theory was we had their money and they knew we were a bank.  If they needed us , they'd come see us.     

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624, had a job once that "customer appreciation" was a common thing for all of us, and another job, that included "cold calls"  that too is such a joy!! LOL

Honored Contributor

@happycat  Yes, a "financial adviser" called just to "introduce himself" and "please return the call".  I didn't.

Respected Contributor

This sounds very much like a scam. Why don't you call your bank and ask them if they are actually doing this. Most of the time this is someone trying to get familiarand then will be getting you to give them information. By all means call your bank.

Respected Contributor

Never.  Are you sure it's really your bank.  If it is and you don't want the calls, go to the bank, talk to the manager and ask him/her to stop the calls.  If they refuse to do so, you can always file a complaint with your state banking regulators and/or the federal bank regulators; that'd probably do the trick.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I don't think our bank has ever called.

We do get a lot of emails and mail for them about their services.  

Honored Contributor

No I haven’t but I would probably think it was a scam. If I don’t recognize a number I don’t answer. Can’t be too careful these days and I hate feeling this way.

Respected Contributor

I would go to my bank and check with them to see if it is them.  It probably is a scam.  Why would they want to annoy people if it were the bank.