Regular Contributor

Does you husband help out at home ?

If you are still working and your husband is retired, how does he spend his day? Do you expect him to or even want him to help out around the house? Do you sometimes leave a " honey do list? Just wondering?
Honored Contributor

Re: Does you husband help out at home ?

I am retired but my husband is not.  Still, he always helps out around the house. I've never had to ask.

Trusted Contributor

My husband is much younger than me so he still works. He does all the mowing now, hours and hours of mowing. I had to do all of it at one time. I never had luck with the list.

But he does help if I ask.

Honored Contributor

At each stage of our life, we've helped each other equally.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

If he wants to eat he helps out, lol!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

He offers a lot.  Often I just choose to do stuff myself.  I'm more of a 'do it right the first time' person and he's more of a 'just knock it out as quickly as possible so he can check it off  the 'I did it' column'.   Smiley Happy     Less frustrating to do more stuff myself.

Besides, he works a lot and I don't work outside the house at all, anymore.  We let the cleaning lady go a few months ago and haven't replaced her yet so I do more BUT I still won't clean his bathroom.  HE has to keep it clean.  I don't go in there at all, but he says he's been keeping it clean.  Why do I have the idea that his idea of 'clean' is different than mine?  Smiley Wink   hehe  

Honored Contributor

We're not retirement age and I'm a SAHM. He does his own laundry, we both cook, I do 99% of the shopping and most of the dishes. He does the yardwork, occasionally vacuums and steam cleans the carpet. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

He has always helped out if I asked, but since he's retired and I have health problems he does most of the household chores.

Trusted Contributor

My husband works, I do not.  He is in charge of picking up the dog you-know-what, will vacuum (although now I won't let him touch my new Dyson, lol) and will help out with little things around the house & yard.  I'm pretty fussy about how I keep house so I like to do a lot myself, but it's nice that he'll help out if I ask.   

Honored Contributor

We've always split chores and been there for each other's projects.  We took turns going to grad school and shifted chores accordingly.

DH does the heavy lifting, and I mean that literally.  He's a foot taller than I am and more muscular. 

He went with me to birthing classes and was right there for the birth of our daughter.  He did all the diaper changing many nights so I could get much needed sleep.

He makes omelets, sandwiches, pancakes, and a few other specialties.  Our deal has always been, whoever cooks, the other cleans up and does the dishes.