Trusted Contributor

Re: Does you husband help out at home ?

@JeanLouiseFinch. Mine can make a burger, and he thinks he's a master chef!

Honored Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

Mine cuts the grass, maintains the cars, does all the home repairs including painting, plumbing and electrical work. Also, mulching the flower beds'and snow removal. He will  do the dishes, vacuum, dust and wash windows and his own laundry on occasion. ( he's not allowed to do my laundry) but he will carry my folded laundry up two flights of stairs when he sees me struggling.

He does not cook or clean bathrooms and he hates to change the sheets on the bed.

I am very lucky to have him. I  never have to hire a handy man or car mechanic, he is very capable and saves us money.

Also, he is as neat as a pin when he does something.  No sloppy work. He has always been helpful.

Honored Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

Woman LOL

Well he is compared to mine.  He hates to cook and burns everything if he tries.  He has ruined many a good steak by cooking it to shoe leather consistency.

Respected Contributor

Like another poster said, mine does the outside work and I do the inside. He also changes the oil and filters in both our vehicles. I'm too fussy about how the house is kept to let him do any of the cleaning. He used to do the vacuuming until I noticed marks on the furniture legs (hmm... Did he do that on purpose, to get out of doing that chore?). Anyway, since he's also a procrastinator, if I want something done this decade, I have to do it myself. Thank goodness we live in an HOA or he'd let the grass get waist high! LOL

Honored Contributor

My husband has never helped out at home in any way including with the children. As a full time caregiver now....let's just say nothing has changed. I have already seen the future via holidays and his vacation time.

*heavy sigh*

Respected Contributor

What is sexist question. It sounds like something that someone would've asked another woman in the 1950s.  Well, actually, my mother was ahead of her time so she would not of been thinking that way in the 1950s, either. My husband and I don't have roles based on sex in our home. We never did. We help each other out. We just do what we feel like. I really don't underStand this kind if thinking.  It's the second time today since logging in just a few minutes ago that I have run into a related question that sounds like very old-fashioned thinking. Please excuse me if I am misreading the question. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, his idea of doing housework was to dust once every 6 months and taking an entire day to dust a couple of rooms.  He just didn't get it, and thought my job was to give him a list even thought I too had a full time job.  Seriously, he couldn't see that the trash can was overflowing or the sink was full?  That is one of the reasons that he is now an ex and responsible at his own house.  LOL, let his new girlfriend clean up after him now....oh, and he never set foot in a grocery store either, kept track of the bills, involved in holidays, etc... so it wasn't just the lack of helping out with housework.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@libbyannE wrote:

What is sexist question. It sounds like something that someone would've asked another woman in the 1950s.  Well, actually, my mother was ahead of her time so she would not of been thinking that way in the 1950s, either. My husband and I don't have roles based on sex in our home. We never did. We help each other out. We just do what we feel like. I really don't underStand this kind if thinking.  It's the second time today since logging in just a few minutes ago that I have run into a related question that sounds like very old-fashioned thinking. Please excuse me if I am misreading the question. 

I'm with you.   When I read the post I thought WTH?   My husband does NOT HELP out , he does what needs doing.  We are both retired but work a couple of days a week and whomever sees the laundry basket is full, does the laundry.  Dishwasher full?   It's emptied by the person who sees it.   We don't have male / female duties.   The house is OURS and we both take care of it.   He is unloading the dryer as I type.  We've been married 25 years and it's always been this way; not just since we retired BTW.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes he does. We've always tried to share the load.