Frequent Contributor

Does watching QVC cause you to buy the item elsewhere?

This happens to me often: I'll see something on TV that really catches my interest. I think I can get it better, for less someplace else. I'll do a search, and there it is, and for cheaper! Today, I saw a 3-step ladder on TV for $79.98. I found a 4-step ladder, with safety side handle bars on "black friday sale" for $71.96 and free shipping. I just had to order it! It will be here on 12-01. Can't wait!

Honored Contributor

Re: Does watching QVC cause you to buy the item elsewhere?

@2Kittys wrote:

This happens to me often: I'll see something on TV that really catches my interest. I think I can get it better, for less someplace else. I'll do a search, and there it is, and for cheaper! Today, I saw a 3-step ladder on TV for $79.98. I found a 4-step ladder, with safety side handle bars on "black friday sale" for $71.96 and free shipping. I just had to order it! It will be here on 12-01. Can't

@2Kittys , It sure does. I always check around to see if I can get a better deal and read reviews when possible. Sometimes the item is only available at QVC, but often , especially with shoes. you can get a much better price.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

For sure, for years now my motto has been, see it on the Q, buy it on Ebay !!!

Honored Contributor

@2Kittys .

Yes, many times.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

We have YouTube TV and no longer have QVC, so can't watch it.  But yes, in the past I've seen something interesting and will search to find it less expensive elsewhere.  

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

Yes  I always check Amazon and Walmart and often google search the item before I buy. Price isn't always the reason, shipping and 99% sure I'll get the item quickly.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes sometimes.  QVC introduced me to Philosophy.  I eventually got on the Philosophy email list and now I buy when they have their buy one get one specials.  I have also bought things from the Carolyn Pollack website.  Again, I would have never known about her if it were not for QVC.

But I don't and won't search out every item to see if I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Absolutely.

Price matching might be an idea for QVC, but, of course, it could only be for exact products.  

The thinking behind this is it's better to get the sale at a lower price than not get it at all.  

Not sure their CS dept could handle it though, since retailers who do this ask for proof.  Some have the ability to look it up, but I doubt QVC's CS dept would be given that capability.  

Respected Contributor

@2Kittys   I do comparison shop since I like the best value for my money but usually if I see something here, after researching, I find that I purchase it here for a comparable or better price and am pleased with it/them, especially items for the home, i.e. kitchen appliances, cookware, and gadgets and shoes--mostly Clarks--and the Irish knit sweaters, and some other clothing.

My greatest QVC mistaken ongoing purchase was the Temp-tations line of vessels.  I learned too late that the quality diminished rapidly.  Tara is such a nice woman but the lack of quality control has made me certain to not purchase again unless things dramatically improve for that line.

And, some brands, like Reed and Barton, no longer exist on their own but their large Queen's Garden set of stainless will outlast me, purchased here about ten years ago, and used daily, and it is not even 18/10 but the quality is excellent. I purchased a set for my daughter as well for her engagement.

I am a careful shopper and dislike having to return things to a brick and mortar store or by return mail so I do very little impulse buying.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

Why yeah, I do that all the time. Faster service any place else.