Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does the constant bad news

@goldensrbest, sometmes it does get to me and I try to take a break from the news. But, all my news doesn't come from the tv, radio or newspaper. It comes from people I know.

Last week in our small town, we had a murder suicide, a very prominent couple. You couldn't go out and about without hearing about it from people at the store, people where I get my nails done. The couple had three children and I ask that you keep those children in your prayers, if you pray.

Then I got a group text the next day, about a special needs boy who lives in the town over. He had drowned in his families pond.

Last night, had a family get together, a relative who works at a school was talking about things going on there. How the meth epidemic is wreaking havoc in her small town.

Its just hard to take it all in sometimes.

Respected Contributor

Yes, it  gets to me. Just can't tolerate all that negativity and pessimism. It's difficult enough being a caregiver with a negative and pessimistic mother. Then you turn on the news and hear all the bad news from the U.S. and around the world. That causes my mother to start in with, "Back in the 30s, I could go anywhere in Chicago without fear." I remind her that she had Al Capone, John Dillinger, and a lot of others. She always tells me that "Mr. Capone" was so nice. He used to have his men give the kids a whole quarter each when he bumped into them." OK.

A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal. ~~ Steve Maraboli
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal For heavens sake - Barbara Bush was 92 years old and had lived a long and wonderful life. For those who loved her she should be mourned but for total strangers to mourn her is not really appropriate.

Honored Contributor

News is always bad otherwise it wouldn't be news.  I've never seen a newscast that said "today there were no car accidents" and "the donuts at Sam's Bakery were particularly good".  I imagine that when the cavemen sat around their fires at night, they talked about the all the unfortunate and bad things that happened that day.  Personally, I haven't noticed an increase in bad news or any constancy.  Actually, I get a little ticked off at all the fluff that newcasts included.  They are on all day and have so many hours to fill that they blather on and on about silly stuff.  They also tell the same serious stories over and over and over again for days and days.  Sometimes they even call stuff that has been in the news for days "breaking news".   So on Sunday, you wonder if they are talking about a new bombing or the one that happened on Friday.  I watch an hour of local news in the morning and a half hour of network news in the evenings.....and I'm done.  That's all I need to be informed.  I check into Cnn online sometimes.   I know people who watch hours and hours of cable news everyday, it's too much.  The overload can make a person depressed and fearful.  

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio So eloquently said.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@qualitygal For heavens sake - Barbara Bush was 92 years old and had lived a long and wonderful life. For those who loved her she should be mourned but for total strangers to mourn her is not really appropriate.

@151949, I'm not mourning her like a family member, but sad for her families loss.  I know how long she lived.  She was greatly admired. Please don't try and tell me what is appropriate for me, that's for me to decide.  

Honored Contributor

I want to always stay informed but I have to be selective in how much I take in. Because it does depress me. My life is so difficult personally that I can't add too much on top of that.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

I just got on my computer this morning ,and bad news did not turn any news on, i am so tired of all the things going on in  our country.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Mourning the loss of respected public servants (and the first family is just that. They serve and get little/no money for doing so, and a lot of loss of privacy and heart ache for their time spent) is absolutely appropriate. Much more so than some celebrity or 'star' as we see done on an almost daily basis.

Yes, she lived a long and some would say great life, but her passing has had a very sad effect on so many people who admired her strength,  candor and her wit. She was a strong woman, a great first lady, and a wonderful American. Why wouldn't strangers who admired her feel some sense of loss and mourn her passing?

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Get to you? It does to me, this morning a naked gunman kills 4 people at a waffle house.

@goldensrbest  It is why I don't watch the news, but DH does and watches enough for the both of us, and he had it on last evening while I was preparing dinner, nothing but bad news, couldn't wait to finish and get out fo the kitchen.