Honored Contributor

Re: Does the U.S. need another TV shopping network?

Well........why not?    There's nothing much left to watch on TV any more except the "crime channel"...................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think that this is suppose to be a lot more than just a television broadcast.  

I don't quite understand it, but I doubt it will appeal to many current QVC and HSN customers.

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager 

I agree, it's not the typical shopping channel customer.  It's for an entirely different demographic.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

JThis doesn’t sound like it’s going to be a “network”, nor will it be available on your average cable lineup, like QVC.  Right now they’re planning on YouTube and Roku exposure only, filming out of a brick and mortar storefront.  Along with a website, of course.

It sounds like they’re trying to take the “old-fashioned” television shopping experience to the young and those with higher incomes.  People looking for unique products and those that spend a lot of time on their electronic devices.

I think it has potential.  

Honored Contributor

As it is, I currently only HSN and QVC.  Not interested in any of the other shopping channels, much less a new one.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Well it says the phone, NOT THE TV.  Whenever a brand has somehting on sale, that ad will pop up on your PHONE.  Not really a shopping channel.  It's still an ad, no matter if it's a picture or a video. 

Respected Contributor

I think it is difficult to predict what will succeed in the marketplace. I remember negative articles about the concept of a smartphone. Many thought no one would want or need one. And that it would fail.

Fast forward ...

Esteemed Contributor

There may be a place in NYC for interesting items to be sold. Who will sit around all day waiting for products on air?

There will have to be some kind of online business. 

This is a interesting idea. I have all the luxury goods I need. Younger professionals still need the trapping of success. Things you can't find on a shopping channel or Amazon. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

There may be a place in NYC for interesting items to be sold. Who will sit around all day waiting for products on air?

There will have to be some kind of online business. 

This is a interesting idea. I have all the luxury goods I need. Younger professionals still need the trapping of success. Things you can't find on a shopping channel or Amazon. 

But why wouldn't millennials and gen Z just already visit existing sites that sell luxury goods like Net-a-Porter or used luxury goods like The Real Real? Pop-up stores are meant to attract people to visit them in person. They are instagram friendly in order to sell to the masses via endless influencers who monetize all of their content.

The only things that I could imagine that would attract those young people to a mobile TV shopping app would be luxury or athletic shoe drops and streetwear (and that would be mostly males who would use this. But I'm sure they already use something like highsnobiety to buy those goods already.

Respected Contributor

@TYONLY the marketplace can decide the answer to that question.  Nothing more to say.