Esteemed Contributor

Does the U.S. need another TV shopping network?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/home-shopping-pioneer-spearheads-new-network-extend-fashion-d...

Does the U.S. Really need another TV shopping network? According to this Hollywood Reporter article it looks like a former executive at both QVC and HSN wants to start up a new mobile TV network for brands to "drop" or sell their new merchandise cutting the hassle for the vendor or merchant.

Uhm, Ok.

Honored Contributor

Re: Does the U.S. need another TV shopping network?

The more competition the lower the prices.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

possibly but QVC doesn't use that rule

Honored Contributor

@TY wrote:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/home-shopping-pioneer-spearheads-new-network-extend-fashion-d...

Does the U.S. Really need another TV shopping network? According to this Hollywood Reporter article it looks like a former executive at both QVC and HSN wants to start up a new mobile TV network for brands to "drop" or sell their new merchandise cutting the hassle for the vendor or merchant.

Uhm, Ok.

day late

dollar short

10 or 5 years ago maybe

Respected Contributor

@TY   I read the entire article and thank you for providing it.  Just my take:  It doesn't sound like just another shopping channel.  Might very well succeed with the young--attached to their on the go electronics and untethered from cable.

The "pop-ups" happen frequently in the mega urban areas and even smaller cities near Universities that have a concentration of young adults.  He's coordinating the pop-ups for big name retail, throwing in an intimate physical site, and you'll notice it is not going to engage in discounts if I interpreted it correctly.

If I had lots of spare cash I would be tempted to invest if he was looking for investors.

Honored Contributor

@TY I'm at the wrong stage of life to want to buy much of anything just to have it, so my opinion doesn't count for much so I'll just say I personally am 99% unlikely to head to another channel.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The way I read it is that it isn't a shopping channel in the way that HSN and QVC are shopping channels.  It's nothing like that.  It's a whole new concept and I think it's not going to be for someone who is looking for a bargain or something they can get elsewhere.   

Honored Contributor

Personally, I don't buy much from the shopping channels that exist so for me, the answer is "No."

BTW I did not read the article.

Honored Contributor

I don't know if they do or not. But thank God ,we live in a free country,  and people are free to follow their dreams. Good luck to them

Esteemed Contributor

The article sounds interesting.However, the new network would not present any value to the consumer just convenience.It specifically stated that it would not discount prices at all. It would just be a way to get new products out there.

I guess for those that aren’t looking for a good deal but rather a specific item that would work.