Esteemed Contributor

Yes, that is irritating. I think some of us are cooped up with family a lot more than we were pre covid. Sometimes this house seems very, very small.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten 

OH MY GOSH! I could have written your post.  Begging & pleading does nothing, except get you all worked up.  He sees that I have my headphones on & taking notes, so when I get interrupted, I just say, "I need to finish studying", then he'll shut the door.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

Maybe you should live alone...you've never learned to turn a deaf ear?

Honored Contributor

When I am on the phone, when I am in the middle of doing something important, when I am talking and discussing, I find rude and ill mannered obnoxious.  Unless there is an emergency no one should be butting in before you finish or at least saying excuse me,

I know when I talk I like to finish a sentence or opinion.  Maybe it isn't a big deal to many but I have found when someone needs help, they do appreciate someone who listens. Also two people talking at once or over each other turns me off.

Being polite and not rude are very basic things we learn.

Respected Contributor

The way I look at it, I can read the book, watch the movie, or do the activity at any time. Can't say the same about the people I love. One day they may be around, the next, gone. So it definitely does NOT bother me when I'm "interrupted".

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

For some unfathomable reason, the members of my family don't think twice about interrupting me, even though they can see I'm engrossed in a book, a movie, an activity, and so on. They just blurt out what's on their minds with no regard for the fact that they're disrupting what I'm trying to do.

And before someone says it, YES! I've asked, begged, and pleaded with them a million times to please not do it, I don't like it, etc. I've started to ignore them, and when I'm done with whatever I was doing, ask--nicely--"What was it you said?" or wanted, etc.

It really bothers me that people can be so inconsiderate and sometimes I want to yell at them, can't you see I'm doing something here? but all it would do is get me riled up and wouldn't have any effect, except for long faces and scowls. So I guess I'll just have to live with it. When it gets really too much for me, I go into another room and close the door.

BTW, I've tried doing the same to them but it doesn't bother them at all. Man LOLLOL! I guess we all have our own individual sensitivities.

I'm like this too. This is something that happens when you are very very good at focusing. Not everyone is like that. Most people don't get as engrossed in their activities as we do.

They aren't in the wrong for treating you the way they would like to be treated. But you aren't in the wrong either for wanting to be treated in a way that allows you to focus the way you prefer.

It helps to acknowledge that you are a bit special and that you are asking them to go out of their way to behave in a manner that is not natural to them. You could even make a little sign saying, "Reading a book. Back later. Love you!" and then hold it up or point to it when they come in next time.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

You can also have a -- house on fire/emotional emergency/something bad could happen/I need to celebrate something amazing immediately -- clause where they are allowed to interrupt you. That makes it feel fair and like you're not really gone on some remote planet, competely unreachable.

Also small children have to be special exceptions sometimes and receive more delicate handling. They can take rejection too much to heart and you can't know which instance they could take that way.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

Does not bother me. Some people will complain no matter what.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

The way I look at it, I can read the book, watch the movie, or do the activity at any time. Can't say the same about the people I love. One day they may be around, the next, gone. So it definitely does NOT bother me when I'm "interrupted".

@Sushismom 

Right!

There may come a time when the silence is deafening, and you'll wish that they were around to interrupt you.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Esteemed Contributor

Guess I am not sure what the issue really is.  Are sitting in a special place to read or watching your favorate show?  How would anyone know what you are expecting?  If you want to have some time to yourself I would suggest finding a specific place and time and just let everyone know.  Hate to thinkg you want people to make an appointment to talk to you.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.