Honored Contributor

Re: Does it bother you if someone dislikes you

[ Edited ]

@cotton4me wrote:

I think it depends on the situation – how close you are to the person, how much have you invested, etc.    

Some people take offense at the slighest thing.  It's like they're just looking to be offended.  I don't know if this person is like that but I knew someone like that and decided it was too much work trying to be her friend and ended it.     

In some cases it may come down to chemistry.  There are some people we bond with while others rub us the wrong way.  I’ve seen Kirlian photography (photography that shows the energy field surrounding living things)  - showing the hands of two people who liked each other and their energy field meshed together, making an even larger energy field. I saw the same photo of hands of two people who didn’t like each other and their energy field was very diminished and not touching at all.   It was very interesting. 

Whatever you decide, good luck. 

@cotton4me  This isn't a current situation for me, or the only one for that matter.  But I did have a friend since fourth grade (which would have made it a 68-year friendship, it was a BFF relationship).  That friendship ended over three years ago when she lied to my face and I called her on it.  She had done it before and I didn't call her on it, I let her get away with it many times.  This time I didn't.  She became very angry and said "I never said that, those words never came out of my mouth."  I responded that she was in essence lying to my face (we were on the phone) because I had been very upset at what she had said prior.  We hung up.

Three weeks later she sent me an email telling me never to contact her again and blaming it on me.  I almost felt as though I was being rejected for a job, as she prefaced her words with "With much regret . . . "  There has been no contact of any kind since then.  My daughters are glad because they always told me she was a user and a liar.  My beloved sister, when she was alive, used to say the same thing.

So she ended our relationship because she lied and I confronted her with it.  She couldn't accept that.  I can't say I don't think of her anymore because I do.  Our lives were so intertwined since we were children.  We had good times too.  She had even lived with us several times when her mother had other things to do.  She lives states away so either one of us could die and we would not know.  It is sad.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Nope.

Dismissed.  ;-)

Respected Contributor

@Giggles Too wrote:

@reiki604

You are so right and said pretty much precisely the way I feel as well.

I also like this quote from Maya Angelou:  I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.

Thanks......I like me and mine is the only opinion that matters! ROFL!

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

As a young woman just graduated from high school I was somewhat naive.  I thought if I was nice to everyone and liked everyone, everyone would like and be nice to me. Boy was I in for a rude awakening. I won't go into any details..... but the next few years were to be very painful.  Anyway, I survived but I had a very different point of view after those years.  I probably should be thankful I Iearned it early on.....painful as it was.

Esteemed Contributor

@LilacTree Sorry this has happened to you.  I've had some similar experiences in the past.  I think most of us go through some things like this. 

I always remember some sound advice - Never go where you're not wanted/liked. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

As a young woman just graduated from high school I was somewhat naive.  I thought if I was nice to everyone and liked everyone, everyone would like and be nice to me. Boy was I in for a rude awakening. I won't go into any details..... but the next few years were to be very painful.  Anyway, I survived but I had a very different point of view after those years.  I probably should be thankful I Iearned it early on.....painful as it was.

I think a lot of people could say the same.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@LilacTree

Hi to you, haven't seen much of you lately. I hope things are getting a little better for you and certainly not worse. Good to see you again.

I've dealt with so many people between my positions with Auto Racing/Road Race Running, and of course my different positions in all levels of Hockey.

Never pretended to be someone I was not. If people chose/choose to not like that someone? Not much I would do to try to change their minds.

I think it is only natural to want everyone to like you, but in my opinion, way too many try to change the perception of who they really are to be liked. There have been times where I have wondered just what it was about me, or maybe something specific that I do, that negatively effects some people.

In the scheme of life does it bother me. Not really, I have too many important people and things going on in my life to allow myself to waste time with who does and who doesn't like who I am.

Best regards to you and your loved ones.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@reiki604:

Right again!  ROFL! 

Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@LilacTree

Hi to you, haven't seen much of you lately. I hope things are getting a little better for you and certainly not worse. Good to see you again.

I've dealt with so many people between my positions with Auto Racing/Road Race Running, and of course my different positions in all levels of Hockey.

Never pretended to be someone I was not. If people chose/choose to not like that someone? Not much I would do to try to change their minds.

I think it is only natural to want everyone to like you, but in my opinion, way too many try to change the perception of who they really are to be liked. There have been times where I have wondered just what it was about me, or maybe something specific that I do, that negatively effects some people.

In the scheme of life does it bother me. Not really, I have too many important people and things going on in my life to allow myself to waste time with who does and who doesn't like who I am.

Best regards to you and your loved ones.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut  A little OT John.  I went to my ortho doc yesterday about a daily and annoying pain in my lower side/back that doesn't go away until I lie down.  He took x-rays and told me it's from one of the vertebrae on which kyphoplasty was performed two years ago.  He said it's referred pain and I will probably always have it.  I'm not a happy mama today about this.  He also said I have several vertebrae that are at the same stage of near compression as they were two years ago.  He has no idea if and when they will fracture. 

I can't remember if you had this surgery or not.  If it wasn't you, I apologize.  Just wondering if it was, if you are dealing with something similar.  Ford

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

It probably should, but it doesn't.