Trusted Contributor

Re: Does anyone remember and was here during the Hong Kong flu?

I don't remember hearing of any one getting Hong Kong flu. Maybe it didn't come through our area.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Trusted Contributor

I had what I'm pretty sure was this flu back in 1968.  I was really sick for about a week and thought it was just a bad cold.  I didn't go to the doctor, just used overthe counter meds for fever and cough.  I made the mistake of going back to work after 5 week days and a week-end off.  Big mistake!  After a couple of hours they sent me home and it took a few more days before I went back.  I remember it was the cough and weakness that persisted.  Don't remember hearing about it back then.  No stores/restaurants closed and the economy didn't shut down.  

Honored Contributor

@on the bay 

Yes I do!  I didn't get it, but my husband then got it.  Omg, sicker than 10 dogs  he lost 13 lbs in a week.  Finally I took him to Kaiser emergency.  What an experience.  I remember waiting for him for two hours in waiting room after they took him in .. finally I asked when he would be out  the lost him.  A nurse had put him in a room not usually used because they were so crowded  there was chart on door, but no one came in.  They had to look for him.  He had gone to sleep and was a little delirious  with high fever.   Hong Kong flu Dr said.  Because it had gone into pneumonia te gave him meds

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty -

What a horrible experience!

You must have been so worried and then to hear they lost him!!

Yikes!

I'm glad he was ok after it all!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

A little O/T but related...how come it was okay to call that Hong Kong flu but it's wrong to refer to the current one as Chinese virus?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@on the bay    Back then I had  twin babies I left at home with neighbors, I just wanted to get home.  I was so worried about them.  I never got the HK flu, and didn't know many people who got it.  However, it passed through the company where my husband worked.  I do remember back then there wasn't any kind of vaccine I knew of.  It is amazing to think back the medical miracles that have transpired since then  just amazing.  Just the advancement of vaccines, medicine cures, therapies and equipment they have to deal with illness.  Back the it really was " take two aspirin and call me in the morning"  ....aspirin for everything, even measles. A visit to the Dr might cost 15 dollars.    My kids had measles, mumps, chickenpox to name a few.  It was a passage of childhood.  Things happened, but that too was life.

Trusted Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

It was 1968, veterans returning from Vietnam brought this back with them.

I know I was alive and cognizant then but I don't remember anyone ever talking about it. I was going to ask my mother but I doubt she would remember.

I just thought it would be interesting hearing others persepective who lived through this and remembers.

I had it and lived through it.

My whole immediate family also had it. We were all quite sick from it at the same time, from what I can recall--my parents, and my sister--my one and only sibling.

I was quite young back then, and I think that we all had it in the first round of it.

I remember being really achy, and being really lethargic, like that severe tiredness that you can have when you have a flu virus or when you're feeling really ill from some kind of a virus.

The only one who didn't have it in our family was my maternal Gramma. She lived next to us. We shared a duplex together with her.