Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone remember and was here during the Hong Kong flu?

DH had it. He says he was terribly ill for 2 weeks.Also said it was the sickest he's ever been.

Respected Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I remember it but it was spread over a period of better than 2-2 1/2 years.  Deaths in the U S over those 24-36 months added up to 33,800 in the U.S according to Wikileaks.  

As a comparison, this Covid-19 Pandemic, we will have by next week 100,000 deaths in just 3 months.

I am not aware of anything being closed down then, but the death toll is nothing like our current coronavirus.

Unfortunately, the amount of Covid-19 deaths is not correct.  If someone died of an infected foot, it was Covid-19 on the death certificate. 

Why?  Follow the money.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine Kate wrote:  Unfortunately, the amount of Covid-19 deaths is not correct.  If someone died of an infected foot, it was Covid-19 on the death certificate. 

Why?  Follow the money.

Actual facts do matter. it is not true about cause of deaths being inflated.  In fact the reverse is true.

The doctor states cause of death why would they attribute it to some underlying condition.  If someone has an infected foot but dies in a car accident, what do you think the cause of death will be?

Also we know how many people died in the period from Jan-April in NYState in 2019 last year.  Guess what, there have been 5500 MORE deaths reported this year not including deaths from Covid-19.   Doctors think because many died at home and cause of death was not determined if they were elderly.

All doctors think the death toll for Covid is much higher than even current numbers because of deaths at home.

Trusted Contributor

Someone actually did a story on this recently. It was just something that was in the background of people's lives. Middle pages of the newspaper. Barely mentioned on the evening news. Now we live in a time where every single thing is in your face non-stop and seem much more terrifying. I've seen people mowing their own lawn with a mask on.

Not really different than everyone thinking that kids are being kidnapped on a regular basis compared to the good old days.

Oh and Hong Kond flu is still around.

Super Contributor

I remember people caught it but nobody had masks on .  It was treated as though well it's just another kind of flu.  There was a vaccine for it. Everyone was afraid to take it. Including me.  People became sick out of it.  Some died.  And there were no shutdowns or quarantines either. Then it suddenly disappeared.  

Honored Contributor

OH yes---I was sick with it in 1968, so very sick with it . Was 14 and remember waking up in my bed unable to move my body--could breathe but had to call my mom to help me----was so sick!!!! And since then, I have never gotten so sick with any flu---and never really had the flu again--maybe a bad cold that could have been the flu but never just the flu---always had a flu shot since I was 20 or so.

Valued Contributor

They had Woodstock right after.....hmmm.  

No one in my family got sick.  I was still in school and happy and healthy as was my family.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette -

How awful that people came knowing they had the Hong Kong flu!

Now that is selfish and irresponsible!

I guess some never change.

It sounds like it was miserableSmiley Sad

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I remember having the Hong Kong flu. I was very sick.

I called work to say I wasn't coming in that I was sick.

My boss was furious. I guess I was due at nine and I called after noon. I had no concept of time. The flu lasted about two weeks. I didn't have a car and had to have my land lady take me to the doctors.

Honored Contributor

I was a UCLA student at the time and did get the Hong Kong flu. For me, it was not very remarkable in any way. And shame on me, I even still attended classes.

For those trying their hardest to equate a flu, especially one with a vaccine available, with the far more contagious, dangerous, no antidote/vaccine Covid-19, sorry but you fail.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland