Contributor

Does anyone live in South Carolina?

I'm hoping some of you who live in SC can give me some advice.  My husband and I are thinking about moving from NJ to SC.  We're considering the Greenville County area because it appears to have good potential for jobs (I'm retired but my husband still needs to work).  We want to buy a single family home in a new sub-division (unsure which town) and we're planning a trip to SC soon so we can check out the area and homes.  I'd really appreciate any advice, opinions and/or suggestions from any of you who are familiar with the Upstate area.  Specifically, I'm concerned with buying a home that's in a safe area -- I know there's crime everywhere (unfortunately) but I don't want to end up moving into a neighborhood that has "more than it's fair share!"  If you know of specific home communities that have gotten "good reviews" I'd appreciate it if you'd pass that info along.  My understanding is that realtors are prohibited from telling a customer which areas are good and which ones aren't -- that info could be construed as bias (unfortunate but understandable).  I'd be grateful for any info -- I'm stressing out already!

Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone live in South Carolina?

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Greenville-South-Carolina.html

~~today may be my last.....i choose JOY!~~
Respected Contributor

@Redhead102

Be prepared for VERY warm summers-June to October, unless you are going to snowbird or have pools/beaches etc. to escape to.

Check potential housing for shade trees, adequate drainage on the property and on streets, and pines that will need to be cleaned up or could be problematic during hurricane season.

It can be heavenly to be in shirt sleeves in October, but as a New Englander, I will always be homesick for the North.

Respected Contributor

My friend moved from NJ to SC last December.  Put house on the market and left.  He's retired, she is not (she's an LPN) and there is a 12 year age difference between them.  They've been talking about it for years.  They went to South Carolina several times before deciding on moving there.  They are building a new house in a subdivision right now.  A very nice 3 bedroom/2bathroom single story.  I don't know cost of the house but I'm certain it's a lot cheaper than NJ.  My friend found a job very fast.  They like it there a lot.  I moved from California to Georgia last year too.  I did a lot of trolling on the computer.  I would google "best places to live in Georgia."  Or "best school district in Georgia"....crime statistis, etc.  So that might help.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  My friend just loves it there.

Valued Contributor

We made the move to SC from NH about 12 years ago, about one hour south of Greenville. We are both retired so we settled here because of my dear fil who had health issues.   The Greenville/Spartanburg area has indeed grown and you can find many things to do. That area includes the airport, hospitals,  minor league baseball, many large corporations including BMW, Michelin, Nike, Amazon, etc and many other businesses that support these companies.  You will find all kinds of housing.  You said you like new there and there are numerous subdivisions being constructed by both the national builders and other area builders. In under an hour you can find just about any type of area you want including more rural, mountain views, or lakefront or just plain subdivision.  You will find real estate taxes MUCH lower!  Close to Greenville/Spartanburg are Simpsonville, Taylors, Greer, Duncan, Mauldin, Woodfruff and so many more.  The people are friendly!  Being from cold New England the people of the south are so much welcoming.  Since you say you want a subdivision I will say as you drive around you will get a feel for the area by what is around the subdivision. Yes there is crime reported but I honestly don't think it is any worse than anywhere else.

Contributor

Becca Lou -- do you live in SC?  I don't know what type of weather in the south you're referring to.  I'm familiar with the weather in Hendersonville NC which isn't too far from the area we're interested in and the weather there is pretty nice most of the year.  I know it gets hot and humid in SC but it gets hot and humid in NJ too -- thank goodness for air conditioning!  I appreciate the info you gave me -- thanks for taking the time and interest to respond to my post.

Honored Contributor

I think our friend here @Trudey is in S. Carolina so I'm flagging this thread so she'll see it.

Honored Contributor

I lived in SC for 9 years and the upstate is the only place there I'd live. 

Valued Contributor

For this area you still get seasons but not the bitter cold and snow of the north. Spring like weather will arrive late February/March.  Although we have had some winters where it felt like spring all winter.  You may get light snow in the winter months and believe me noone moves when it happens.  It may snow Monday and school is cancelled through Friday!  The first year we had a dusting of snow and my son made the treck from our house to his job in Greenville an hour away to find he was the only one that showed up.  To be honest late July and most of August is hot and humid, but everyone has airconditioning. If you settle in the northern area of Greenville County you will actually be in the foothills of the mountains a little cooler and beautiful views.

Contributor

Many thanks to EVERYONE who has responded to my post.  I've done a lot of research on the internet already but I feel there's nothing like getting info from those who experience everyday life in the area (I was tempted to say "getting info from the horse's mouth" but I thought someone might get offended -- lol).