Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone live far from family?

@Ditzydori,

I know you are still adjusting, and personally feel you made a wise decision to sell the house in PA.   

Now that you've had time to settle, you have figured out what you want to do, and are on track with steps to make it happen.   Your plan makes sense to me, and I certainly wish you the best with your final decisions.   

My best friend and her family have lived in Wake Forrest and Knightdale, NC for over 35 years and really like that area.   She does complain about the heat in the summer, and ice storms in winter, but she definitely doesn’t want to move back to deal with West Virginia winters. 

Valued Contributor

Move to NC. As a North Carolinian I have to tell you people are very friendly. Join the newcomers club and meet people withe similar interests. We moved here 23 years ago knowing nobody and now we have a wonderful group of friends. Take a chance.

Super Contributor

Berlybaby and Red Top, I cant thank you both enough for your encouraging posts.
Respected Contributor

DH & I were born and raised in western PA.  When DH graduated from college he got a job in Washington, DC, I met him when he was home for the weekend and got married and I moved, we lived in Northern Virginia for 40 years, raised two children and when he retired we decided to move to North Caroline, which we did this past May, we'll be moving into our new home sometime next month.  I come from a large Italian family but many of my cousins left the area for better job opportunities.  Yes, I missed my parents but you go where the work is.  We went up as much as we could, we were only 4 hours away.  Our parents are all gone now and not many of my family is left in western PA.  My son lives in NY and my daughter is still in Northern VA.  We see each other when we can.  I don't know how I'll feel if something happens to DH before me, I would likely stay since one of the reasons we moved was it is more expensive to live in Northern VA, but you never know.  At the present time we don't have grandchildren, that might've made a difference, I don't know.  Only you can make this decision, do what your gut tells you to do.  All the best.

Respected Contributor

I sympathise with your situation.   We were in PA while all of my family was still in Texas.   I wanted to get out of PA and get closer to Texas but NOT live there again.  We just moved to NM.  I'm a 90 minute flight to Dallas or an 8 hour drive.   It's a good compromise for me.

Could you keep your Florida home and spend the summer months in NY by renting your FL house when in NY?   Homeaway or some rental company?

I agree with others that moving to NC doesn't seem to solve your issues with the grandkids.   

Try this.   Toss a coin.  Heads, NC--tails NY.    See which lands face up.  Don't decide based upon that....decide based upon your IMMEDIATE reaction to the result.  If your first reaction is WHEW, go there .   If not, go to the other place.   I've done this so many times and it really helps/works.   

Good luck.