Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone know if laundromats are still open ?

They are open where I live.  I intend to go to one in the morning. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would run the machine empty first with a ton of bleach.  

Honored Contributor

The local ones here in West Virginia have stayed open.

Honored Contributor

I am in California.  Laundromats are concidered essential service I guess.  A week ago my daughters washer just broke.  Kaput...in the middle of a wash.  She had to run everything over to laundromat.  It was open, but she said, egads it is expensive.  I think it cost her 24 bucks to wash and dry 3 loads!   She said if she had to use a laundromat everyweek with 3 kids, she could buy a washer in 7 months, lol!

Honored Contributor

@shoekitty wrote:

I am in California.  Laundromats are concidered essential service I guess.  A week ago my daughters washer just broke.  Kaput...in the middle of a wash.  She had to run everything over to laundromat.  It was open, but she said, egads it is expensive.  I think it cost her 24 bucks to wash and dry 3 loads!   She said if she had to use a laundromat everyweek with 3 kids, she could buy a washer in 7 months, lol!

That's a very expensive laundromat. My local laundromat is $2 a load for normal washers or $4.50 for a triple load washer. Dryers are $.25 for seven minutes and $1 per load typically has everything dry. Washing and drying three loads here would be about $7.50-$9. The good news is you're in and out in an hour and a half or so. You're also not having to pay for the water, gas/electric, or repairs to the machines. Sadly, that laundromat has been closed since lockdown started here. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@shoekitty wrote:

That's a very expensive laundromat. My local laundromat is $2 a load for normal washers or $4.50 for a triple load washer. Dryers are $.25 for seven minutes and $1 per load typically has everything dry. Washing and drying three loads here would be about $7.50-$9. The good news is you're in and out in an hour and a half or so. You're also not having to pay for the water, gas/electric, or repairs to the machines. Sadly, that laundromat has been closed since lockdown started here. 

Same price for me.  $2 a load.  The only things I put in a dryer are things like towels, sheets and blankets.  The rest I bring home to hang dry.  

Regular Contributor

Will your comforter fit in your dryer . I place dryer sheets and the comforter this helps to refresh the item .

Respected Contributor

My usual laundry is open for drop off service only. Does Happy Nest service your area? They’ll pick up laundry and deliver it back.
Trusted Contributor

yes the ones in pa are.. i have to go once a week... but you must wear masks and where i go on the door it says to wait in your car, but there are some that sit in there..  

Respected Contributor

@Nuttmeg wrote:

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Laudromats in NYS are open; they are considered essential businesses. Dry cleanters are not. Can't figure out the logic in that one!

@Buffalogal47

You can manage without dry cleaning for a while. 

This. I haven't used a dry cleaning service in 20 years because I avoid buying clothes that are dry clean only. I do laundry a few times a week. If my washing machine broke, I'd be going to the coin-op, not taking my towels, sheets, and underwear to the dry cleaner.

Like the OP, I take my comforter to the laundromat in the spring. This past winter was so warm I never even put it on the bed, but if I had, I'd put it in trash bag and wait a month or two before taking it to a laundromat.