Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know anymore about the Manson woman who was to be released from prison?

Is she still in jail or has she been released?  Anyone know?  Thanks in advance.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone know anymore about the Manson woman who was to be released from prison?

If I remember correctly she has only been approved for release by the parole board and the recommendation has to go to the governor for final disposition.  To the best of my knowledge the process has not yet been completed so she remains incarcerated.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

Re: Does anyone know anymore about the Manson woman who was to be released from prison?

Hi @Bobbi sue Here's the latest I could find from the LA Times April 15.

The ruling will be reviewed by the parole board’s legal team. If upheld, it will be forwarded to Gov. Jerry Brown, who could decide to block Van Houten’s release. A spokesman for the governor said Thursday that it would be premature for his office to comment.

Honored Contributor

I believe the timeline for deciding whether she goes or not was in the first link I posted about this.  Search for my thread in the search box (white rectangular box above next to teh boxt that says "Community"  and then search for my thread. I think my first post's link has the info you are seeking about how long before a final decision must be made.  

Esteemed Contributor

I can't fathom why someone who has been locked up that long would even WANT parole - especially considering who she is and what she did.

She may not get a warm welcome from society!

Respected Contributor

She has not been released..She is from  a town right nextdoor to where I  am from, so its pretty big news here...

Honored Contributor

I think the confusion was that somebody posted that she was actually GRANTED parole.  The actuality is that parole was only recommended by the board but nothing has actually been granted.

These things probably take a while to go through - one way or the other.  Smiley Happy