Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone here live in Las Vegas?

You currently live near the Pacific ocean in a city that has the best climate in Southern California are you sure you want to live in a desert?  I don't know anyone who lives in Las Vegas but I know a few people who live in Arizona (Phoenix, Tucson and Sedona).  It is very brown and unappealing to me.  I think I would maybe rent somewhere for a year as a trial before permanently moving.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine wrote:

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are retired and considering moving to either Summerlin or Henderson NV. Any feedback on the pros and cons would be appreciated. We currently live in San Diego and I’m sick to death of CA. The people here are not friendly and  I need a change

of scenery.to keep my mind occupied so I don’t keep thinking of my brother who died in Oct. He was the last family member I had left. Thanks in advance for any advice.

One of my closest friends lives in Henderson, and has been there for a long time.  She, her husband, and their two grown daughters love it.  But I've visited, and I know I would not want to live there.  There's nothing "wrong" with it - It's just not for me.  And it may not be for you either.  I think you might miss San Diego's weather and other things about living there no matter where you move.  But it's a very personal decision.

As others have said, this is not a good time for you to be taking such an important step.  You lost your brother very recently, and you need to regain your equilibrium first. A change of scenery is not going to keep you from thinking about him, nor should it.  Take some time to mourn first.   I lost a family member this year too, and I know how tough it is.  My deepest sympathy to you.

Respected Contributor

I've lived in Summerlin for about 18 years and we're happy with it.  My one and only complaint with living in the desert is the insane heat during the summer months.  ( I come from the great lakes snowbelt so the winters here are wonderful to me.)  Right now, it's 64 and sunny.  Here in Summerlin, we're at a little higher altitude than the rest of the LV valley, so it's cooler here than down in Henderson, and it can be up to 10* cooler some days.  

There is no part of Summerlin that I can think of that isn't kept immaculate.

I'll be glad to answer any more questions you have if I"m able to.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sunshine wrote:

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are retired and considering moving to either Summerlin or Henderson NV. Any feedback on the pros and cons would be appreciated. We currently live in San Diego and I’m sick to death of CA. The people here are not friendly and  I need a change

of scenery.to keep my mind occupied so I don’t keep thinking of my brother who died in Oct. He was the last family member I had left. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I don't live there, but I have a friend whose husband works there and lives in Summerlin, but they also have a home in the San Diego area. They just sold their bigger home in Summerlin and bought another one in Sun City. They are very happy with Vegas and still have all their doctors there. The cost of living there is much lower than in San Diego. They of course love their San Diego place, but they also like Vegas where they live away from the frantic atmosphere of the strip. There is great hiking on the outskirts of Vegas, especially Red Rock Canyon. The desert is certainly different from coastal. I'm from the Pacific Northwest, and while it would be much cheaper for me to live in the desert, I could never get used to the brownness of the Vegas region.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in north Oxnard, CA (southern Calif). I'm well aware of the high-crime rate in Las Vegas. That's why most of the tracts are gated. My aunt moved to an apartment in Las Vegas years ago (across the street from a major hotel on the strip.) She'd go to the hotel early evening and just had to cross one street to her apartment - when she was jumped by undesirables (who sit in their cars waiting for a female to cross the street). They tried grabbing her purse (pocketbook) but she was able to fight him off. She called the police - who did nothing. You'll never read about that in their newspaper. I visited Las Vegas a few times - and the summers are brutal (and they last for 4 to 5 months). You literally can't come out of ur house during the day. I was told, people go out at night.

You live in a beautiful city --- and I don't think it's a good trade-off. Maybe u can go to Las Vegas a few times a year. It's so close to San Diego - visiting makes sense.

Esteemed Contributor

As if SD has no crime. Please. There's hardly a place in this country that doesn't have crime. And of course, urban areas have more. 

Respected Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I live in north Oxnard, CA (southern Calif). I'm well aware of the high-crime rate in Las Vegas. That's why most of the tracts are gated. My aunt moved to an apartment in Las Vegas years ago (across the street from a major hotel on the strip.) She'd go to the hotel early evening and just had to cross one street to her apartment - when she was jumped by undesirables (who sit in their cars waiting for a female to cross the street). They tried grabbing her purse (pocketbook) but she was able to fight him off. She called the police - who did nothing. You'll never read about that in their newspaper. I visited Las Vegas a few times - and the summers are brutal (and they last for 4 to 5 months). You literally can't come out of ur house during the day. I was told, people go out at night.

You live in a beautiful city --- and I don't think it's a good trade-off. Maybe u can go to Las Vegas a few times a year. It's so close to San Diego - visiting makes sense.

It's not 'brutal' here 4 or 5 months, more like 3 and for those 3, it's miserable.   The crime is bad here as it is in pretty much every large city.  There are horrible areas here lots of crime and there are  beautiful areas here with low crime, so don't paint it with a broad brush.  As for gated areas, if someone wants to burglarize that area, all they have to do is climb over the walls and they're in.  I don't live in a gated community and it's one of the safest places in LV.  (This is according to the police.)   Traffic has gotten worse over the years because of all the people moving here but, I'll take it over California any day. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sunshine,  hello!  My husband and I moved to Henderson in August 2017 and are very happy here.  We are close enough to Vegas if that is of interest (mostly it isn’t for us) but readily accessible to all retail and convenience of need.  To give you an idea of convenience, I bought a new car shortly after we got here and still had under 5,000 miles after a year.  

It might help to give you some of our history.  We moved here after being on the Big 

Island of Hawaii for 5 years, 2 years in Kansas City before that, 4 years in Front Royal (Western), Virginia before that and 16 years in Huntington Beach, CA.  Being in a rural place for 5 years made Henderson seem like a Mecca for us, plus my husband already had friends here that eased the transition.  

Summerlin in is the up and coming side of Vegas, although Henderson is still growing.  We don’t get over there often.  Lots to do and the new home to the Minor League baseball team and practice arena for the hockey team.  I may not be too accurate here as we don’t often get over to that side of town.

Welcome to the valley when you get here!

Respected Contributor

@MJDinVegas wrote:

@Sunshine,  hello!  My husband and I moved to Henderson in August 2017 and are very happy here.  We are close enough to Vegas if that is of interest (mostly it isn’t for us) but readily accessible to all retail and convenience of need.  To give you an idea of convenience, I bought a new car shortly after we got here and still had under 5,000 miles after a year.  

It might help to give you some of our history.  We moved here after being on the Big 

Island of Hawaii for 5 years, 2 years in Kansas City before that, 4 years in Front Royal (Western), Virginia before that and 16 years in Huntington Beach, CA.  Being in a rural place for 5 years made Henderson seem like a Mecca for us, plus my husband already had friends here that eased the transition.  

Summerlin in is the up and coming side of Vegas, although Henderson is still growing.  We don’t get over there often.  Lots to do and the new home to the Minor League baseball team and practice arena for the hockey team.  I may not be too accurate here as we don’t often get over to that side of town.

Welcome to the valley when you get here!

You're right about the ballpark and arena MJD.  They're right next to Red Rock Resort and Downtown Summerlin.

Valued Contributor

NO, and I wouldn't live in Vegas or any desert area even if I got a house for free. The  weather in summer is WAY too hot.

NO comparison to San Diego - great weather, low crime rate, lots of things to do, great restaurants, and close to the beach