Super Contributor

Re: Does anyone here live in Las Vegas?

Thank you everyone for responding to my post. I appreciate the info.

We live in inland San Diego and the summers here are hot too.

At times it feels like summer all year round.

We’ve thought about moving to the Las Vegas area for a long time.

We haven’t put our house on the market yet, so it will be awhile till we do or don’t move to Las Vegas.

Happy holidays everyone.

Honored Contributor

We are selling our home in Henderson.  Have been there almost 16 years.  I left after 13 years.  We are in Sun City Anthem where there are a lot of club activities.  I do not play golf, tennis or bocce.  I am not a "joiner."  If you are, the community will be great for you.

There is a great lack of "cultural" activities.  And it is necessary to drive everywhere.  With all the construction going on, the traffic has gotten much worse since we moved there in 2003.  

I like the desert but the sun to me was intolerable, intense even in the winter.  

On the plus side the cost of living is reasonable especially compared to CA.  I would suggest renting--there are plenty available--before making a decision.

Trusted Contributor

I lived in Las Vegas for 24 years. The heat in July and August can be unbearable. Even at night it does not really cool off.  

I got used to it. Perhaps because I am always cold.

I lived in the Southwest part of Las Vegas. I loved the area I was in. I was close enough to everything. 

I do agree with the others, maybe rent during the hot months to see how you feel about the heat.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine

Wanting to change scenery to help u deal with ur brother's passing DOES NOT work!!! I lost my mother many, many years ago - we were sooooo close - and I'm still suffering. It never goes away - and I don't want it to go away. I've moved 5 or 6 times thru the years - and nothing changes.

I suggest u get involved with a church, social group, volunteer!!!! Try to make new friends!!! I'm also retired - but never married. I recently met 2 nice women on nextdoor dot com (local website). Go to restaurants u haven't been to; walk along a beach or park; visit ur local library or just have a nice chat with one person or several. 

Things will Get Better. 

Sandy, in Oxnard

Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

Have really good A/C!

Regular Contributor

I would stay in San DIego if I were you.

Trusted Contributor

i live in utah and ave been to henderson many times.  i would not want to live there as the hot heat in the summer is really terrible.  but i think you may want to rent for a few months bewforeyou really want to move there.  also take in consideration the laws they have, how they feel about outsiders,the taxes on property there and your current home and car insurance costs ect please think of all the factors and then think again.

Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Sunshine

Wanting to change scenery to help u deal with ur brother's passing DOES NOT work!!! I lost my mother many, many years ago - we were sooooo close - and I'm still suffering. It never goes away - and I don't want it to go away. I've moved 5 or 6 times thru the years - and nothing changes.

I suggest u get involved with a church, social group, volunteer!!!! Try to make new friends!!! I'm also retired - but never married. I recently met 2 nice women on nextdoor dot com (local website). Go to restaurants u haven't been to; walk along a beach or park; visit ur local library or just have a nice chat with one person or several. 

Things will Get Better. 

Sandy, in Oxnard

Woman Very Happy

@kivah

i am so sorry that it has been that way for you. it doesnt HAVE to be that way for everyone though.

telling someone that it "doesnt go away" or that "you dont want it to go away" isnt such a good thing. it CAN and does go away for many. it doesnt mean that you love someone less or that you forget about them.....it just means you have moved on.....as it should be.

i do think you have given her some helpful suggestions on how to keep busy.

live the BEST life you can live in honor of that person......and in honor of yourself.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

@kivah wrote:

@Sunshine

Things will Get Better. 

Sandy, in Oxnard

Woman Very Happy

Excellent advice @kivah.