Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone here actually eat three meals a day?

What you are eating matters as much ,or more, than how many meals you eat

Super Contributor

I eat 6 small meals a day, helps keep the weight down and not as hungry in between meals.  Protein, fruit, veggies and complex carbs.

Breakfast - Protein smoothie, oatmeal or boil eggs

mid-morning snack

lunch sweet potatoes, protein and veggies

mid afternoon snack

dinner protein and a big salad

after dinner snack

The snacks are either greek yogurt, fruit or nuts.

I also sometimes have cookies and tortilla chips with avocado. Everything in

moderationSmiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

2/3 of Americans are either overweight or obese. It would seem that most are eating more than 3 meals a day. Or maybe there is a lot more to it.

Are people just less active than prior generations or is there something different about the food we eat now as opposed to twenty five years ago?

Honored Contributor

@LilacTree wrote:

Having had autoimmune diseases since menopause, diagnosed with rheumatoid at 66, and just diagnosed recently with lupus, I really don’t know what to eat.

I do have one, sometimes two nutrition drinks, one in the morning and the other in the evening if I have two.  

The diet restrictions for all of my issues conflict with each other, so I stay away from dairy, meat, and my beloved pasta.  I recently learned about “nightshade” foods which eliminates most everything I had been eating.

My RA doc appointment is still three months away, so I don’t know yet what she thinks about diet.  I can no longer cook, so I do eat microwavable processed food, never those with meat and potatoes or pasta though.  My meals are very small and I do not snack at all.  I eat twice a day and even then, I have to force it down because I’m never hungry.  I do realize I will never be my normal weight again, I hover between 113 and 116 pounds.

@LilacTree... I have a very good rheumatologist who told me not everyone is sensitive to the same foods. It may be trial and error. If you love pasta and your are avoiding wheat, you could always have chickpea pasta or rice pasta. Maybe some fish or chicken could be put in a frying pan and you could sit in the kitchen while it is cooking? If your grandson is now living with you maybe he could make the pasta for you and you could eat it throughout the week. Also rice is fairly innocuous and does not usually pose a problem with lupus or RA.

Have you checked out some of the meal bars? You might like them for an afternoon snack. The oatmeal packets are simple and you just need a dash of milk or if dairy bothers you then some Almond or Cashew Milk for breakfast. A banana once in awhile is always a quick pick me up. Fresh fruit even with a little bit of cottage cheese..

Please don't worry about all the conflicting information you will read if you google lupus and RA. I did it myself when first diagnosed and most of it is wrong. I hope that you will be feeling stronger in the future....

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

2/3 of Americans are either overweight or obese. It would seem that most are eating more than 3 meals a day. Or maybe there is a lot more to it.

Are people just less active than prior generations or is there something different about the food we eat now as opposed to twenty five years ago?

@Trinity11, the OP asked about meals.  I'm sure there is snacking going on.  LOL

I would have to say that a lot of the problem is the processed garbage we eat and the sugar that is in everything as well.  I still think that's the cause of so many allergies.  There were never kids when I was in school with the food allergies, etc. that kids have today.  

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11, the OP asked about meals.  I'm sure there is snacking going on.  LOL

I would have to say that a lot of the problem is the processed garbage we eat and the sugar that is in everything as well.  I still think that's the cause of so many allergies.  There were never kids when I was in school with the food allergies, etc. that kids have today.  

It just seemed like very few people that replied to this question said that they DO eat 3 meals a day @Lipstickdiva . Yet we often have threads about losing weight. Sometimes, I wonder if some foods are just calorically dense and we don't even realize it.

A good example is a salad from Panera. I was perusing the website to look up the calories and was very surprised. Same with their soups and I love the chicken soup they have and it is loaded with fat and sodium. Then I wondered why I was having difficulty with my weight. Even eating that and nothing else, I can pack on the pounds quickly.

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

It just seemed like very few people that replied to this question said that they DO eat 3 meals a day @Lipstickdiva . Yet we often have threads about losing weight. Sometimes, I wonder if some foods are just calorically dense and we don't even realize it.

A good example is a salad from Panera. I was perusing the website to look up the calories and was very surprised. Same with their soups and I love the chicken soup they have and it is loaded with fat and sodium. Then I wondered why I was having difficulty with my weight. Even eating that and nothing else, I can pack on the pounds quickly.

@Trinity11, I don't think not eating 3 meals is a day is the answer to weightloss, it's what one is eating.

I know several people who only eat 1 meal a day.  Some eat 1 very healthy meal a day.  Others eat one very fattening, unhealthy meal a day. What they eat in that one meal is more calories than should be eaten over the course of 2 days sometimes.  I also know some people who won't eat all day if they know they are going to eat a large, unhealthy dinner.

I have to honestly say that since calories are now posted right on menus, it stops me from eating things I thought nothing about eating in the past. 

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Trinity11, I don't think not eating 3 meals is a day is the answer to weightloss, it's what one is eating.

I know several people who only eat 1 meal a day.  Some eat 1 very healthy meal a day.  Others eat one very fattening, unhealthy meal a day. What they eat in that one meal is more calories than should be eaten over the course of 2 days sometimes.  I also know some people who won't eat all day if they know they are going to eat a large, unhealthy dinner.

I have to honestly say that since calories are now posted right on menus, it stops me from eating things I thought nothing about eating in the past. 

Me too in stopping.... in regard to posting calories on menues. We went to "The Cheesecake Factory" for a belated birthday dinner and the only food I could eat was from the "Skinny Menu." The portion was miniscule, though. Shrimp and pasta. The Pasta was about 1/4 of an ounce. Needed a magnifying glass to see it..

Respected Contributor

no...once a day...sometimes I don't eat at all

Super Contributor

fourpaws56, how can you get all the vitamins & minerals, etc in one meal a day? Be careful, as you age, your body needs calcium and your body will take it from your bones which will become weak & fragile. One meal a day doesn't sound healthy.