Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone here actually eat three meals a day?

Not usually.   I'll have a light breakfast around 10 or so and then we try to have a decent size lunch around 3.  That's our 'big' meal.   I may have some fruit or small snack later that night.   Some days this works, some days not.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

I have rarely eaten three meals in a day. I don’t think this is actually common practice even if it’s always depicted as such in American culture. I wonder how prevalent this practice is among adults.

@Mindy D 

As opposed to what ?     What is your usual "meal schedule"?

Respected Contributor

No. I only eat when I am hungry. I used to eat just to eat, but now can't stand the feeling of being full.

Respected Contributor

I don't know if I'd call them meals, but yes, I eat when I get up, some fruit & cereal, lunch is usually yogurt and some fruit and then a regular dinner.  I probably would only have a salad for dinner but DH likes a "meal" at dinner time, so I do make a regular dinner.  

Respected Contributor

Well, not really. My daughter swears by eating small meals 3x a day.

She is firm about needing to eat something soon after you get up to

get your metabolism jump started no matter how small, just something!

So with that, I do eat something in the morning. I basically force those few grapes in or 1/2 a banana even before I have my first cup of coffee. I am not thinking about food in the morning I am thinking more on the lines of making my coffee.

So after that first cup -  it is usually wheat toast with peanut butter or a bowl of oatmeal.

Then, that second cup,

I tend to eat a little here, a little there all thru out the day. I am happier snacking on 

fruit, fishies, peanuts or pretzel rods than eating lunch.

We also tend to eat dinner sometime around seven so I do keep my portions on the small side since I basically don’t usually do a whole lot after that except relax.

-Texas Hill Country-
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@blackhole99  So you eat nothing all day long but a protein shake and coffee? I think I would either pass out or be very hungry.  Either way I wouldn't feel good. 

Respected Contributor

@dex   Yes, I do have a high metabolism.  Sometimes I've thought I might have an overactive thyroid, but my TSH is normal and I don't have trouble sleeping.

When I was in my thirties I did have to watch my calories, and have actually dieted during that time.  At 70, I only weigh about 102, but at my highest weight I was 127, so there's a big difference, but I used to drink and party a lot during those days!  I've also gotten shorter, so I can't carry as much weight anymore, but thankfully it's not due to osteoporosis.  On that note, I just ate a brownie! 

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@2blonde @I am a huge lover of the sweet stuff too....I wish I could stop that for the sake of inflammation that it causes but so far no success.I have my dh hide my sweets and dole them out or I would just never stop.

You have never carried much weight but you must be very thin now.I am 5’8” and weigh 132# at 64.i have lost an inch in height somewhere over time too.

i was reading somewhere that weight is determined by the bacteria in our intestinal tracts and they might be able to harvest that bacteria to help those who struggle.It seems to me that the two of us love sugar which is supposed to be the enemy but maybe not.

Respected Contributor

For the most part yes.  Breakfast and lunch are smaller meals, especially breakfast. I was never a big breakfast eater because I don't like eating a lot of food in the morning. And because I have polycystic ovarian syndrome, with insulin resistance being a symptom of it, typically skipping meals isn't good (although I will especially if I'm not hungry or if I'm going out for a lunch or dinner later in the day). 

So much has changed in regards to food and nutrition with everyone having opinions about what to eat, how much, and when...I say you do you. If something works for you, stick to it. 

Respected Contributor

@dex   I probably do have lots of intestinal bacteria because I eat a lot of yogurt.  I also take magnesium (keeps me regular), and I use red pepper flakes on my food (speeds metabolism and contributes to that morning after coffee "urge.")

Laura loves cats!