Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a Whirlpool Cabrio?

@Deanie
I wish you happy successful washing and look forward to feedback.
I was in appliance store looking at other items recently and saw Speed Queen. Salesman mentioned that it important to read instructions on settings to get best results.
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure brand name matters as much as it once did, though some are probably better than others. Most commercial washers seem to be Speed Queen, but my mother hated the one she had in our house growing up. I have no desire for a front loader. Top loaders only for me.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Today we bought maytag bravos at home depot. They are having a huge sale. Saved hundreds.

Went to several stores and ended up there.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had the Cabrio set.  Gorgeous curvy design.  All kinds of electronic beeps and bells and whistles.  The first and only service call was 4 years and the repairman recommended that I buy a new washer because the circuit board was fried and repairs would be too expensive. 4 years!!  I was shocked, remembering washers lasting 20+ years when I was growing up.

I went to Lowes and bought my Maytag Centennial set, which was on sale and was one of the least expensive sets at Lowe's at the time.  Boxy and not the sexist design but I had always wanted a Maytag and was thrilled with the deal. The salesman there told me most of today's appliances are designed to last around 6 years (which I didn't get with the Whirlpool).  That was 3 years ago, so time will tell, but I am impressed with this washer.  It's a top-load and built like a tank, handling my heavy, queen-sized L L Bean quilt with no problem.  Same with a load of 6-8 thick towels plus hand towels and washcloths. When it's time to replace, I'll buy another Maytag.

Trusted Contributor

Well, I said I would get back to everyone when the SQ were delivered. Today. I have used them twice now and am very pleased.  So far.  Fingers crossed. The whole room looks bigger as they do not sit on platforms, are white and smaller than the front loaders. The guys that delivered took away the old set and installed the new ones with all new hoses, and vent exhaust. I am staying close by as they work. I dont want any issues. As in does a watched pot boil......does a watched washer wash?

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

You made the right choice to purchase a Speed Queen.

To anyone else thinking about a Cabrio ... Do not buy it~!

My Cabrio lasted 2 years (my repair man couldn't believe it either). 

Mine did not have an agitator, thought it would be good to wash bedspreads, big loads, etc.   Plus, after rinse cycle my clothes were actually full of lint, and since it uses little water, there was actually a moldy smell to the wash.  Unbelievable.

After wasting all of that money in purchasing & repairs -- bought a SPEED QUEEN.  No repairs, simple, easy... I will never ever recommend a CABRIO even if it were free.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkOutsidetheBox wrote:

If you love your washer, it will be worth the money to you to get it repaired if it ever has a problem. I have had to investigate this for my mom, and I just know she will never adjust to or enjoy a top loader or front loader of today. She likes having her tub fill up as much as she wants to clean her clothes. I am trying to find a good repair person for her now since one of her machines is in need of service.

@ThinkOutsidetheBoxThis is how I feel as well.  After reading the many discussions and horror stories about today's machines, I'm willing to pay whatever it takes to keep my old Kenmore Elite washer and dryer alive because I love them.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

Well, it has been a few weeks and I do love my SQ washer and dryer. However, there is one downside that my front loader had that this manufacturer does not. I can not wash my King comforter in it. I found out that even King quilts are problematic. I guess the size does not accommodate them. so, I will have to take them to the dry cleaners. Poo.

Super Contributor

Thank you for the Yelp idea. I did check that long ago. My mom lives in Gloucester, VA, which is horrifyingly backwards, unprofessional and limited when it comes to any service people and companies. It is a nightmare. On the plus side, the people who live there a really nic

Frequent Contributor

Speed Queen is the way to go - love it - my clothes are really clean and they dry quickly.  Great warranty and made in the USA.  It was recommended after I had the reapirman out on a regular bases for my previous electromic disaster set.