Super Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a Whirlpool Cabrio?

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I don’t know anything about Speed Queen but when we were looking for a new set last year the salesman at multiple places said the top loaders are very noisy. So noisy they had a sign saying they would not accept returns due to the noise. I also heard they don’t get clothes wet let alone clean because not enough water fillls up the machine. How true this is I don’t know. We bought another LG front loader.

What she said....two years ago, I had to get a new washer and dryer after my 15 year old LG front load set died (the washer completely, the dryer was limping). I did a ton of research, and read as many reviews as I could find. I was determined to go back to a top load set. Well, after seeing hundreds of women complain about the top load machines failing to get any appreciable quantity of water in them, and there being NO way to override this setting at all, I investigated the Speed Queens based on recommendations here. Unfortunately, I could not afford them, and I saw that they were in the process of having to comply with the EPA refs as well for water consumption anyway. So, I went right back to another LG front load. It is not as good as my old set because they tilted the drum more for people to be able to see in. This causes a LOT of off balance issues, but I just stop the machine and redistribute the load. I am not thrilled, but at least the load comes in contact with the water more than the top load machines apparently, and I can do my heavy rugs and large blankets and comforters.

By the way....read the manual before buying any washer for the "steam clean" function. This cycle has been restricted to polyester only in both my machines. No cotton or cotton blends allowed.

Super Contributor

Deanie, I have never had a problem with mold in my front loader. I wipe out my seals every so often with microfiber cloths, I always leave the door open and after washing, I pull out the detergent cup to dump leftover water. I also get zero gunk anywhere, because I use NO petroleum-based detergents. That stuff is horrifying. It is gunky, and just coats clothes instead of actually getting them clean. I recommend everyone interested in non-gunky washers switch to a natural based soap (coconut, soap nuts, castille soap, etc). The experts also recommend powdered detergents since many liquids, natural or otherwise, add glycerin which is also sticky and gunky and can feed germs and mold as well (glycerin should never be in your hair and skin products either if you have skin or scalp problems). I alternate between powders and liquid (Nellie's and Mrs Meyers), and sometimes I use a little of both at the same time. Try it out. It works great!

Super Contributor

If you love your washer, it will be worth the money to you to get it repaired if it ever has a problem. I have had to investigate this for my mom, and I just know she will never adjust to or enjoy a top loader or front loader of today. She likes having her tub fill up as much as she wants to clean her clothes. I am trying to find a good repair person for her now since one of her machines is in need of service.

New Contributor

My mom and sister both have them. They live them- I hate them. I prefer front loader or a top loading Frigidaire that went up and down I bought 40 yrs ago and loved. It was the BEST WASHER I’ve ever used. I would buy another today if I could!
Esteemed Contributor

@Deanie

Lowes didn't charge me a delivery fee - or a charge to take my old washing machine. I am glad that u bought from a small business --- as they need the business compared to the big box stores.

Esteemed Contributor

@ThinkOutsidetheBox

I always check Yelp for repair people, carpet cleaner, etc. They were all GREAT!!!

Valued Contributor

Another Speed Queen fan here. We have the washer and dryer. Built in US of real metal parts made to last. They were not that expensive and we have not had one regret. They work perfectly.
Respected Contributor

My Samsung Frontloader died about 3 times when I decided to get rid of it and get the top loader Carbrio. I love it, but the only problem is there is a big reach to the bottom of the wash bin. I am 5' 8" tall and I step on my tippy toes to get to the bottom of it. I was never sorry that I got this washer. My brother bought my mother a Maytag that has a much smaller reach. I can fit all of my bedding into the Cabrio though. I have the dryer to and the dryer is ok. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Big Speed Queen fan here, too. Yes, the SQ is kind of on the expensive side. Does a great job, built in the US. And it works! And works well! Clothes are washed and come out clean.

Using the Speed Queen has considerably decreased drying time in the dryer. 

Love, love, love my Speed Queen! Money well spent, IMO.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I will be taking possesion of the SQ duo next Wednesday. So, we shall see how that goes. I will report back. Thanks.