Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a Whirlpool Cabrio?

Ours is a Whirlpool top loader. No problems in a dozen years, but isn't a Cabrio.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

Ours is a Whirlpool top loader. No problems in a dozen years, but isn't a Cabrio.

@AuntG......have had my Whirlpool washer and dryer for ages.....got it before I moved into this apartment complex, and I have been here for 21 years now.  Very good service from them....only have had to have one service call on the dryer.  It was the belt that needed to be replaced.  The washer is top load and has an agitator.  Clothes always come out clean.  This was not originally what I purchased......they were out of what I wanted, so they upgraded me to what I have now.  At that time it was the top of the line.  

Have dreaded the day when one or the other has to be replaced.  Will hold on them as long as I can.  I don't do the laundry any more because I can't do the basement stairs....my neighbor upstairs does my laundry every other week.....  The same person cleans my apartment every other week too.  I do pay her well for that.  

Super Contributor

My Whirlpool Cabrio just broke after just 4 years of low usage (just the 2 of us), and repairman said it would be cheaper to get a new one....several things wrong that would have cost hundreds to fix.  He saId in his opinion the best brands are Maytag and Kenmore, and said never, ever get a Samsung washer.  

Respected Contributor

my recomendation is go on utube and you can see enganeirs that made the new qpeed queen washer for 2018. its worth listening to what they say and esplain how there new washers clean. if i were going to buy a new waher . i would definently buy a 2018 speed queen washer. they do fill all the way up. there wash action if different. they say its wash action if gental and cleans really well like a front loader washer does. check it out and good luck.

Honored Contributor

@IslanderGirl62 wrote:

My Whirlpool Cabrio just broke after just 4 years of low usage (just the 2 of us), and repairman said it would be cheaper to get a new one....several things wrong that would have cost hundreds to fix.  He saId in his opinion the best brands are Maytag and Kenmore, and said never, ever get a Samsung washer.  

Generally, I like Samsung as a brand  but the one my husband was thinking about buying was a Samsung and the reviews (like, legit reviews not the stupid ones that you often see on all kinds of items) were pretty bad.   One guy who tested it mentioned every single problem that I read in numerous other reviews.   I'm glad we dodged that bullet (thanks to me, as I told the husband to back off on that one).   Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A person dreads the day an old appliance has to be replaced @ShowMe. Unlikely a new one will last over 21 years like yours has. Our Whirlpool set is the "estate series".

Esteemed Contributor

I have the Whirlpool Impeller top loader, 4.3 cu ft. I purchased from Lowes on sale in January, 2016. I paid $479. + $99.97 for a 5-yr warranty (after the 1 yr warranty); $28.99 for 2 stainless steel hoses (rubber is the worst); $40.64 tax = $648.60. Built in Ohio.

I haven't had any problems with it - and I'm 4'10" -- but when I'm on my toes, I could reach the clothes at the bottom.

I've been very happy with it.

The price of the 5-yr warranty is cheap - and totally worth it - because most repair people start at $200 + even if the part costs $5. And many of them are thieves.

Trusted Contributor

Well, ladies, you are the best. I went into local appliance place and priced the new 2018 Speed Queens. I calculated the Lowes cost of the Cabrio units, the delivery fee, the fee to take away my old ones and they charge extra for all the cables. Also the extra cost for the extended warranty Then I priced the SQ again. It was almost a wash (no pun....) Anyway, I love coming to this board to get viewpoints and opinions. So much experience. Oh, by the way, there were no more 2017s left. According to the gentleman, they purchased many extras and they were all gone in a matter of weeks. Everyone had the same idea, get them before the new regs went onto place.

Trusted Contributor

Oh, I forgot to ask this. The gentleman that helped me said it can hanle quilts and comforters up to a Queen. We have a King. Any thoughts on that?

Trusted Contributor

Hi, @Deanie!  We have a Whirlpool Cabrio washer-dryer pair that came with our townhome when we purchased it last year at this time.  When It fails, which I’m sure it will, I will not be replacing it with another Whirlpool Cabrio (or any Whirlpool model).  

When I first toured the home in July 2017, the owner told me she’d ordered a new top for the washer, since it had cracked.  The new top was installed prior to our move in and, here we are 12-14 months later with a cracked top again.  On top of that the detergent and bleach dispensers have cracked and flooded our laundry room.  Those were replaced (thank you Home Warranty) but it still makes terrible noise during the spin cycle - like it’s a helicopter trying to take off.  The repairman who replaced the dispensers said we should be prepared to replace the washer within a year because when the bearing goes it can’t be repaired.  (Just re-upped on the Home Warranty!)

I prefer top loaders to front loaders, which I had when we lived in Virginia, and that one stunk from mold which I could never get to go away.

hope this helps!