Trusted Contributor

Does anyone have a Whirlpool Cabrio?

I am considering getting rid of my front loader washer and purchasing a top loader. On previous threads Speed Queen was recommended and I investigated them and while wonderful they were quite pricey. Lowes is having a Labor Day sale in which some brands of Washers are marked down. This brand is one of them. Does anyone have any experience with this brand? It is made in the USA which I like and is a non agitator type with steam clean option.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a Whirlpool Cabrio?

Owning a Cabrio is what drove me to get a Speed Queen.  We purchased a Cabrio when they first came out years ago.  It only lasted 7 years and we had to have a repairman out multiple times for problems.  Clothes didn't get clean, took forever for things to dry.  Worst washer and dryer I have ever owned.  My Speed Queen is a pre 2018 model which means it does not have the engergy efficient regulations on it that the new ones now have to have.  My clothes are washed clean, the dryer is quick and I can do loads of laundry much faster in it than I could in the Cabrio.  My brother and SIL also owned a Cabrio and had lots of problems with it as well.  Maybe the newer ones are better but am extremely happy with my stainless steel tub of my American made Speed Queen.  Worth every penny we spent on the set.  

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t know anything about Speed Queen but when we were looking for a new set last year the salesman at multiple places said the top loaders are very noisy. So noisy they had a sign saying they would not accept returns due to the noise. I also heard they don’t get clothes wet let alone clean because not enough water fillls up the machine. How true this is I don’t know. We bought another LG front loader.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

My local appliance store recommended Speedy Queen as the best out there.  The design is simple and they last.  

Top loaders are much deeper than they use to be in the old days.  I am short so I am not able to get a top loading washer anymore.  We were in the store and I can not reach the bottom of the washer.  If you are at all vertically challenged I recommend doing the same thing while you are looking.  I quickly found out that I will only be able to purchase front loaders (unless DH is willing to do all the laundry from now on which I don't trust).

Also Double check to make sure the Cabrio really is made in the USA.  Whirlpool has been shipping more and more manufacturing out the US so you may not really be buying a product from Mexico (especially if you purchase as Lowe's don't trust the sales person in the store)

Trusted Contributor

I am eliminating my front loader due to the issues with smell and mold. There is a lawsuit against certain makers of top loaders citing the fact they knew about the mold issues early on and did nothing to address the issue. My front loader is 11 years old and the gunk I pulled out of the grommets on the bottom would make one lose their lunch . That being said we have out machine serviced every year. So, I will revisit Speed Queen

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the Whirpool Duet.  They are stackable but I don't have them stacked because I have a large window in the laundry room and don't want to block it.  I have had them probably 7 or 8 years.  I have yet to have a service call.  They only thing I don't like about them is that if I want to wash one item alone I have to put a towel in with it because it doesn't want to spin all the water out.  

PS:  The washer does not smell.  There is a cleaning cycle with bleach and I run that about once a month and I always leave the door cracked open when I not using it.  

Contributor

I had a Whirlpool Cabrio that had lots of problems the entire time I tried to use it. Luckily I purchased the extended service contract for a few more dollars and I think the repair service came out 4 times in 3 years. One time there was a problem with it and my husband and I repaired it by watching a You tube video. The last time it quit I gave up and bought a new machine.Probably only used it 5 years.  Good luck but I personally will not buy another one of these. 

Honored Contributor

Appliances aren't built to last like they used to.  A friend of mine had a repairman come out for her's and was told they are meant to last about 7 years and many times they are more expensive to fix than buying new.

I have a Samsung front loader.  It's at least 5 years old and knock on wood, we've never had a problem with it.  I have no mold or smell issue either unless I don't clean out the trap at the bottom of the machine.  When that starts to smell like rotten eggs, it's way past needing to be cleaned.

My clothes come out very clean and my DH's clothes from work are filthy.  I have no issue with the dryer either.       

Honored Contributor

I've heard so much bad about front-loaders that I just wouldn't even consider one.

Recently, the notion of getting a new washer and new dryer came up and fortunately, as it was my husband out there shopping (unbeknownst to me), and I said that tht would be a deal- breaker.

We ended up purchasing a set of GE machines that seemed highly rated by some online sources AND it was much less expensive than the poorly-rated ones that he had initially chosen.  Thank goodness he doesn't pull the trigger on stuff like that (that I mostly use!) without confering with me.    

I tend to do the research first and then make choices.  I wish he would get that.   These GE machines also made in the US.   Looking forward to getting them delivered, hopefully, next Monday.

I had always purchased Kenmore machines but with Sears seemingly going down I didn't want to get stuck with appliances that might not be supported.

Am truly loving my new refrigerator and glad that you can still get freezer on top models as, just like with the top-loading washers, I much prefer that and was afraid those types had become obsolete.

Honored Contributor

I dumped my front loader and went to Speed Queen. great work horse.

I have owned this speed queen since 015 and love it. cleans great. a normal wash cycle is 50 minutes. no locking top so you can add if washer has begun.

i have the manuel dial speed queen, has normal wash, presoak, and handwash cycle that is all. that is all I use anyway. I never used perm press cycle anyway.

One thing you do have to watch in speed queen is HE laundry soap for sure, don't even think of using anything else.  I use pods. only 1 pod at a time. I use the double rinse cycle (which is the 50 cycle), I find no residue soap left behind.

I was using to much soap in the beginning when i first got washer, i just went to HE pods and found this works the best. ONLY 1 POD at a time for me is best.