Valued Contributor

Does anyone have a Ragdoll cat?

I have admired the pictures I have seen of these beautiful cats. Do you own one? And can you tell me about the personality, etc. I would love to get one soon. My poor kitties are getting on in years and I need to make sure I have a new love when these little precious kitties are gone so I won't grieve as terribly...

Thanks so much.

{#emotions_dlg.wub}

Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone have a Ragdoll cat?

I haven't, but a coworker had one who was a purrfectly cat-tent lap cat. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I prefer Maine Coons, but I couldn't find any from a rescue organization within 100 miles when my beloved Coon passed last January.

Honored Contributor

I had one. They are supposed to very people oriented and ours was, but she didn't like to be picked up and wasn't a big lap cat. She liked to lay near you and would come to get pet, but you better not do it too much. She also wasn't interested in being friends with my other cats. But she was older when we got her and my other cats were still in the young playful stage.

They are beautiful and don't need much grooming. They can generally take care of their coat but you need to watch out for feces getting stuck to their britches. Just like my current long haired cat you occasionally have to wash their back end if stuff gets stuck there. Ironically my long haired cats haven't had hair ball issues, but one of my short haired cats does.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

The info. below is from the CFA (Cat Fanciers Association)...

Instead of buying a Ragdoll cat, you can also adopt one at Petfinder.com.

Or from a breed-specific rescue group (just Google them).

Ragdolls are large, laid-back, semi longhaired cats with captivating blue eyes. The Ragdoll is a pointed breed, which means that the body is lighter in color than the points (the face, legs, tail and ears). The Ragdoll cat is carefully bred to produce large affectionate animals in three patterns, two with white (mitted and bi-color) and one with no white (colorpoint). The ideal Ragdoll is a well balanced cat, with no extreme features. Altered males will usually top the scale at 15-20 pounds; females are proportionately smaller and usually weigh between 10-15 pounds at maturity. Ragdolls are slow-maturing, reaching full coat color at two years, and full size and weight at four.

Ragdoll cats tend to be more interested in humans than some breeds of cats. They are known to run to greet you at the door, follow you from room to room, flop on you, sleep with you, and generally choose to be where you are. Many Ragdolls have been taught to come when called and play fetch. They are gentle cats, and usually play without extending their claws. Ragdolls tend to be floor cats, not jumpers. The Ragdoll’s semi long coat is plush and silky, and requires minimal grooming to keep it looking its best. They should be combed with a steel comb on a regular basis to find and remove any loose hair or tangles. Quality coats consist mainly of long, soft guard hairs. Ragdolls, just like all breeds of cats, will shed, usually with the change of seasons.The absence of the thick, dense, insulating undercoats results in reduced shedding and matting. In all, Ragdolls are well behaved, and easy to care for – perfect for our modern, busy, lifestyles.

There are four patterns: bi-color, van, mitted and colorpoint. Patterns come in six colors: seal, blue, chocolate, lilac, red, and cream. Points may be solid, lynx, tortie, or torbie (tortie and lynx). If you do the math, you can see that there are quite a large number of different combinations possible! CFA accepts bi-color and van patterns, mitted and colorpoints for showing in the full array of color combinations.

Colorpoint Ragdolls have the classic pointed markings with no white anywhere in their coat. Mitteds have white feet in the front and white boots that go all the way up and around the hock in the back, a white chin and belly stripe. Mitted Ragdolls may have a blaze, star or hourglass shaped patch of white on their forehead and nose. Bi-colors have more white; all four paws, their underbodies, chest, and an upside-down ‘V’ marking on their faces are white. They may have a splash or two of white on their backs. Only their tails, ears, and the outer part of their masks show the darker markings. In the Van pattern, only the top of the mask, ears, and tail, and perhaps a few spots on the body, show darker markings.

Ragdolls were developed in the 1960’s by Ann Baker; a breeder in Riverside California. The origin of the Ragdoll breed consisted almost entirely of free-roaming cats. Ann bred Josephine, a domestic longhaired white female that was found running loose in her neighborhood, to other cats she owned or found. The offspring of this female had unique temperament traits that were very endearing. By selecting individuals with the look, temperament and criteria she wanted for her breeding program, she created the Ragdoll breed.

Pricing on Ragdolls usually depends on type, applicable markings and bloodlines distinguished by Grand Champion (GC), National Regional winning parentage (NW or RW) or of Distinguished Merit parentage (DM). The DM title is achieved by the dam (mother) having produced five CFA grand champion/premier (alter) or DM offspring, or sire (father) having produced fifteen CFA grand champion/ premier or DM offspring. Usually breeders make kittens available between twelve and sixteen weeks of age. After twelve weeks, kittens have had their basic inoculations and developed the physical and social stability needed for a new environment, showing, or being transported by air. Keeping such a rare treasure indoors, neutering or spaying and providing acceptable surfaces (e.g. scratching posts) for the natural behavior of scratching (CFA disapproves of declawing or tendonectomy surgery) are essential elements for maintaining a healthy, long and joyful life.

Frequent Contributor

I have a Ragdoll (boy), a Ragamuffin (girl), 3 Maine Coons, shorthair girl and a special needs girl. All my cats are rescues. The Ragdoll, Ragamuffin and Maine Coons are purebred. I love Maine Coons, they have a wonderful personality and they can get quite big! My Ragamuffin girl is probably the cutest cat ever. Sweet as can be. The Ragdoll is not the most friendly and actually somewhat strange. He likes to be near me, but does not sit on laps, does not like being petted that much. I always heard Ragdolls are so sweet and cuddly, not mine. We rescued him and he will always have a home here, but I just wish he was more friendly. If you are looking for a purebred, please check with rescues first. I would say all cats are awesome, but Maine Coons are the best! But special needs cats are amazing. Our special needs girl is my heart. I would do anything for her and it is the most rewarding feeling ever! She is the most unique, sweet, petite little girl ever. Please consider a special needs cat also.

Valued Contributor

I think Ragdolls are beautiful and would love to have one but, unless it is a rescue I will never own one. I say that because as long as there are cats without forever homes I will continue to adopt from an animal shelter.

Honored Contributor

Have you checked out the Norwegian Forest Cat?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_a6zumzDjw

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Valued Contributor

Thank you for your informative answers. I will definitely check out the rescue cats. All the cats I have now were rescue cats.

Trusted Contributor

I had a Ragdoll cat named PrettyBoyFloyd. We called him Floyd. He was so pretty, that's the name we decided on. He has since passed. Let me just tell you they are absolutely wonderful. They are very affectionate and will be where ever you are. They are a lot like a dog. They understand and will sit outdoors at your side for hours and not even attempt to get down. We now have a Ragamuffin and it has the same personality but is more mischievous. We named her Lucy, the personality just fit with the name. She too is super affectionate and will be by your side or watching you at all times unless they are sleeping. She too will by side outdoors for hours. Both are just great company and seem to understand just what you are saying. I can't recommend these breeds highly enough. Just full of personality. All cats are special though and have there own unique qualities. But I have never experienced anything quite like a Ragdoll or Ragamuffin. I have taken many strays in along the way but none are quite like these 2 breeds. A lot of eye contact too. I could go on, but I am sure any cat you choose will be perfect.
Honored Contributor

Ragdolls (and Ragamuffins) are gorgeous and very sweet cats with great personalities. While I was fortunate to own one (probably a Ragdoll) because the owner was 'allergic'... I too only adopt cats that are homeless so am not likely to own another. They are beautiful and their fur is like silk... It's so soft and never seems to get matted. They are very affectionate and loving.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...