Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone get their local newspaper delivered 7X/week? How much $

I stopped 7x/week years ago.  I now get Washington Post on Sundays only.  There were a few times that the coupons that come had discounts for things I use/buy and the savings paid for the cost of the paper.

Honored Contributor

@Sadiesadie wrote:

@SeaMaiden : We pay more than you quarterly but both

of us prefer having the paper in hand rather than online. We don't read our morning paper until the afternoon after lunch as we relax from the day.

@Sadiesadie    Yes... it is a boomer thing... we grew up with the paper everyday from childhood.  Hard to give up like TV.

Esteemed Contributor

An e-subscription that my parents have for a major state newspaper is $169/year for all access and it's updated each day.  They went with that digital version instead of having it delivered.  If they had it delivered, it would be about $375/year.  They live in a small community, so their local paper only comes out once each week.  

Our local paper has gotten so one-sided politically that I don't subscribe anymore.  Everything I want to know about local events can be accessed for free on their website, so I'm not bothering with a subscription.  It would be about $140/year if I wanted to subscribe.

Honored Contributor

I get the Sunday paper for my metro area from the grocery store each week. And sometimes the weekday papers, depending. And I have online subscriptions to the major national newspapers and a few magazines. (If you're a Prime member you can get a sweet deal on the Wash Post.) Supporting great journalism is crucial and patriotic in my opinion.

However, when we actually subscribed to our local metro paper we got endless phone calls from them about upgrading it. I told them to stop calling and they kept doing it--at all hours of the day. That's when I decided to still support the paper and get the news but without subscribing.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

I still subscribe to our city newspaper for 7 day delivery.  The amount varies, too, but it's usually around $63.00.  I also subscribe to our local area newspaper and that's delivered once a week.  I prefer paper.  Reading everything on line is hard on my eyes.    

Honored Contributor

I was just talking about this with someone.  I mentioned that we no longer get the paper and we used to get 2 different papers 7x a week (city & local).  I used to look forward to them each day particularly the Sunday paper!

We stopped about 5 or 6 years ago and I don't think anyone else on my street gets a paper anymore either...come to think of it it's been ages since I've seen a a paper in anyone's driveway in my community!

I do subscribe online.

Respected Contributor

My 94-year-old mother gets her paper 7 days a week and pays about $180 a year for this service. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We get the Los Angeles Times seven days a week and also have access online.

My husband and I read the paper together every morning with coffee cup in hand. We have been doing so for 51 years and will stop only if the presses stop.

Our routine often goes like this: He wants to read something to me that I haven't read yet, and I politely tell him to be quiet. Then I find something I just have to read to him. But that's different of course. :-)

Long live the unfettered media!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

We get the Atlanta paper delivered 7 days a week.

It's $146.25 each quarter. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

I haven't had the option to have any paper delivered for twelve years (rural community).  I get NYT and Washington Post digitally and I check out Drudge daily (to get the other side on important issues).