Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else use Vinegar for this?

I never use white vinegar for anything.

I remember in 5th grade, Sister built a volcano. (on my desk) She filled it with baking soda, then poured vinegar into the top. I remember getting sick.

Contributor

On 9/9/2014 gloriajean said:

Right - I never thought of vinegar having a chemical - as it is Natural.

Well it is..vinegar is acetic acid...btw, lemon juice is citric acid...pretty much the entire world is made up of chemicals...different combinations of carbon, oxygen hydrogen, nitrogen etc.....
Honored Contributor

I haven't ever used dryer sheets..........as I recall, though, it was mentioned somewhere that there was a warning: Keep away from skin, from children, etc. That it was an irritant. Don't know about any warnings now, though, on the boxes. Wonder what the European view is on them. I believe they are more strict re: possible harmful ingredients, etc. on many products. (Don't know for sure, though.......)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Yes, I have used it in a final rinse in the washing machine. The uses for vinegar are endless.

Honored Contributor

Just because something is acidic doesn't make it a chemical.

White vinegar is nothing more than grains and water. It has a low 5% acidity level and is considered all natural.

Honored Contributor

On 9/9/2014 ROMARY said:

I haven't ever used dryer sheets..........as I recall, though, it was mentioned somewhere that there was a warning: Keep away from skin, from children, etc. That it was an irritant. Don't know about any warnings now, though, on the boxes. Wonder what the European view is on them. I believe they are more strict re: possible harmful ingredients, etc. on many products. (Don't know for sure, though.......)

I bought a small box of dryer sheets one time for another purpose (darned if I can remember now what that was!) and the first thing I noticed was the obnoxious scent. I do have lung problems, though, but it was just WAY too much. I also have a bird so I wouldn't have them in my house.

I can easily see how they could be a major irritant for many. I'd venture to guess that they would kill my bird. I'd only be wheezing but, for him, it would probably be lethal.

I use unscented laundry detergent and unscented Downey. I only use 1/3 to 1/2 the amount of Downey and just add water. You really don't need to fill the whole thing. That saves and puts less of it into your clothes.

I also have heard that those dryer sheets are very bad for dryers.

Contributor

Grains and water also have a chemical makeup. Certainly you know the formula for water is H2o...2 parts hydrogen to one part oxygen... Acetic Acid, or vinegar, is an organic compound with the chemical formula CH3COOH.... learned that in O Chem... (Organic Chemistry in college)...
Honored Contributor

Chickenbutt: Yes, I agree. Dare I say that even walking down the block and around the neighborhood (usually evenings) the various garages emit a very strong dryer sheet/scented detergent odor.........so strong, that our clothes are permeated just walking by. OMG, dare I also say and wonder what the poor kids are being exposed (to). Seems to me that's a good reason why so many folks are taking allergy pills, kids included.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

On 9/9/2014 ROMARY said:

I recently brushed white vinegar on my fingernails, let dry, then painted with my usual fingernail polish. So far, it's prolonging the color, no chips, etc.

I use to to rinse my clothes at times

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Chemical or no chemical, I'll always opt for vinegar instead. Smile