Contributor

Re: Does anyone else use Vinegar for this?

On 9/9/2014 occasional rain said:
On 9/9/2014 KYToby said:

Vinegar only works for laundry washed in real soap -- bit detergents. There really is no need to use any softener for most clothes. Vinegar does not serve as an effective rinse agent, and it, too, is a chemical.

Vinegar is a natural food so how do come up with it being a chemical? If that's the case lemon juice is a chemical too.

Just about everything on earth is chemical or made from them. There's nothing wrong with chemicals but you need to know which ones are good and which ones are bad.

Respected Contributor

On 9/9/2014 occasional rain said:

I use vinegar not only to soften but to remove soap residue. Fabric softeners leave chemicals in the fabric and I don't want that next to my skin. I want my clothing clean and having soap and softener remaining in them isn't clean.

This is why I don't use fabric softeners, especially dryer sheets. They not only leave a buildup in your clothes, dryer sheets leave a residue on the inside of your dryer.

Respected Contributor

Yes!!! Great fabric softener.
Super Contributor

had asked a while ago about using Bragg's vinegar in ice water to be absolutely refreshing. have lost thread, but never did find out what ratio of ice water to vinegar. anyone know? (edit) sorry to ask here

Honored Contributor

Just an update: It's been over a week or more (it seems) and my fingernail polish hasn't chipped, etc. yet. All I did was paint (with an artist's brush) my clean fingernails with white vinegar, LET DRY, then use my favorite nail polish color. So, it worked, for me.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Frequent Contributor

I have been using vinegar for softener for about 7 years. I really started this because I usually wash the clothes in cold water and I use the vinegar as a disinfection more than anything.
Trusted Contributor

Yes Gloriajean, I started doing that about a year ago and it works really well. I used to use Oxiclean in my wash but found out its tested on animals and then heard about the vinegar and tried it, it works great and keeps the towels soft and smelling clean. My dishes sparkle too!