Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone else still solely use a flip phone?

My 86 year old DAD does ... when he sends me a short text, it's painstaking for him due to no keyboard, but he perserveres.   My brother still uses his flip, and doesn't know how to text me back -- both their lives are simplified and loving it.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @gellen  .....  I have had a smart phone since 2008.  Don't think I could go back to a flip phone.  My smart phone contains all my contacts; all my appointments; all my notes, etc ... on one devise.  I can also surf the net and check all my email.  I also find it so much easier to send text messages.   And if I have to send a message to someone else who has an iPhone it is an iMessage so it doesn't use up my monthly text message limit. Not to mention that it is a great phone for making calls.  

Trusted Contributor

I have a flip phone that I always carry--turned off--and a smart phone I've had for three years.  Both are Tracfone pay as you go.  The flip is far, far superior with the sound, and I'll dump it only when I have to.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Respected Contributor

If people like flip phones that's great. Use what serves your purpose.  I switched to a smart phone about 6 years ago and have never regretted it. I don't keep my phone with me every second of the day. It's up to the user to decide, not the phone.  But I sure do like the helpful apps and security/safety features like the alerts that notify me if my debit or credit card is used, the handy camera, the ease of getting driving directions, the ease of sending a text message, the ability to check my calendar for scheduling conflicts, the ability to get a phone number quickly if plans suddenly change...and I am not loading up my purse with separate address books or day planners or additional devices. Smart phones, even the $30 ones, have multiple, easily adjustable ring tone choices and volume settings, as well as "do not disturb" settings and notification options, so the phone sounds are not annoying or disruptive.  

Trusted Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

@luvmybeetle wrote:

I use a flip phone and it's a Samsung.  I have no need for the new type phone.  I see too many children and adults always looking at their phones and not looking into someone's eyes to communicate.  People at restaurants not even talking to each other while sitting together.  I only pay $9.99 a month, at the most $14.  But, I only use for outgoing calls and I pay if anyone calls me .08 Cents a minute.  But, I don't give my phone number to anyone as it is only used for my purpose of contacting someone.

@luvmybeetle 

Speaking of restaurants, when my lady friends & I sit down at a table, the first thing they do is pull that phone out and sit it on the table right in front of them. And check it in-between drinks coming, food coming, coffee & dessert coming and on the way out to the car. It's funny yet it's sad.

In 2002 I flew out to meet an online friend, and she was the type to always have her phone out.  Then she would call other people to chat when I was in the car with her.  I now have a very strict phone policy.  If they keep looking at their phone, they don't need to be around me.  

Read it! New England Journal of Medicine—May 21, 2020
Universal Masking in Hospitals in the Covid-19 Era

“We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection.
Valued Contributor

@Blahblahvampemerand other flip phone users I agree. I am not attached to my flip phone or any phones. While I do receive text messages I do not send text messages. Mostly I use my landline phone.

I am out and about, my flip phone it's all I need. Emergency use,and to receive calls when I'm not at home.Only family has my home phone number and it seems telemarketers to  which I say hello and before they can get in 2 words,My line is Good bless and hangup.Then it's back to crafting, reading,cooking,and watching old movies or researching on my iPad,for vintage jewelry. Walking is also my passion while listening to music on my portable DVD player. The joys of life for me does not mean you need to be attached to your phone giving minute to minute details of your life.I do not need or desire a smart phone.When my flip phone dies, I will get the same type of phone.

Esteemed Contributor

When I lost my flip phone a couple of years ago and went to the AT&T store for a new one if I remember correctly amongst all the phones on display the one I got was the only flip phone they had. There might have been one other one but I don't think so. It was good for me because it was almost a carbon copy of the one I'd had for several years. My kids couldn't believe I didn't take the opportunity to move up to something newer.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use a flip phone. I also bought a new phone still in the box.

Jay Leno uses a flip and if its good enough for him it's good enough for me. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I’ll keep my iPhone 💕
Honored Contributor

I lived the change of technology by riding the campus shuttle.  It stops 50 feet past my house.  So I ditched the car and started riding.  In the early 2000's the shuttle was noisy.  All the students had the "dumb" phones and would yak away.  Gradually the talking subsided.  They now had texting.  Soon they were all communicating with their thumbs.  Then I saw a sign on the shuttle  WIFI and it gave a code.  By now the kids were really quiet, texting away.  Then came the smart phones.  It became dead quiet.  Thumbs furiously pounding buttons. All day.  They sat hunched over their desks at the library.  Looking like thery're studying.  Ha! All staring at the smart phones. Studying can wait.  Awaiting the next technology....