Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else still solely use a flip phone?

I also use a flip phone.  I carry it in my purse turned off.  I have it just for emergencies because there are no phone booths anymore!.  I don't like to have conversations on cell phones so I use my landline for that. 

Respected Contributor

Not in years.

I got rid of my landline when smart phones came out. I wouldn't be without it. I can pay bills while away, hook it up to a wireless speaker for great music, use the navigation,  shop, look up things on the net, communicate via text or e mail and on and on.

All while being away from home. I love technology.

Respected Contributor

My brother-in-law, who writes computer programs for a major computer company uses a flip-phone. He does not see the need to have a smart phone. They don't have Internet at their house either. When I go visit, I use my IPAD with my Verizon data plan.  Oh, an only antenna TV, but they live close to Boston so they get a lot of channels free. When I lived in Massachusetts, we did not need cable. We were fairly close to Boston too and lots of channels are free over the antenna. 

Super Contributor

DH and I have Net 10 phones, pay as you go.  He has a flip phone, mostly cause he had trouble  answering calls and hanging up those push button(screen).  Flip open, talk.  Close phone, hang up.  and then put it in your pocket.  we pay $30.00 for 60 days and 1000 mintues, with unlimited carry over minutes.  

Esteemed Contributor

Another flip phone owner here. All my friends have moved way past them and when they send me text messages I have to call them or it'll take me waaaaaaay too much time to tap out my response. That's the only negative. But then they panic if they forget to bring theirs with them anywhere as if it's their lifeline. My flip phone is for me to call AAA if I break down and need a tow or to order a pizza on the way home.

Honored Contributor

I started with a bag phone probably 20 years ago or more, then migrated up as the technology improved.    I went kicking & screaming from my flip phone to my Android smartphone.    I always kept my phone in the car but after 9/11, I keep it on me all the time.    After using a smartphone over the years, I've learned to use most of the features.   I don't have a landline.   I would never waste money & space on a phone that's just a phone, if you know what I mean.   It's like buying a car with only a steering wheel.    Buy something with all the features & learn to use them to your advantage.

I love texting.    I have a record, in writing, of the message for reference.   When someone sends me a text, I can let it sit if I'm busy, I don't feel like I have to run to answer it, like I would a phone call.    I get reminders for doctor appointments by text.  I can check my bank balances.  I can check weather & traffic.   It's handy when I'm shopping to take a picture of what I want, including the price for comparison.    I use the camera often.

I've never had the kind of lifestyle to go to the trouble to buy a flipphone & pay for it monthly to use it like a paperweight.    I want more.    

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a flip phone until 2 years ago.  I began to feel left out when most of my friends sent texts rather than email, among other things, so I switched to a smart phone.  What I like about it - - being able to text and keep up with friends/family; GPS – I feel much more secure driving around unknown areas (it has saved me many times); being able to look up any kind of info in seconds just like a computer (store locations/hours, telephone numbers, what kind of snake did I just see, etc.).  I spend a lot of time in waiting rooms and I can read on my phone or play solitaire while I’m waiting; I can receive and answer email on my phone.  It’s like having a mini-computer with you everywhere you go.

Honored Contributor

My brother still uses a flip phone.  He’s very well-off, financially, but kind of frugal.  He asks other people in the family to use their apps and gps when he’s with us!

Honored Contributor

@september wrote:

My brother still uses a flip phone.  He’s very well-off, financially, but kind of frugal.  He asks other people in the family to use their apps and gps when he’s with us!

I think that's why some people are 'well-off'. They don't waste their money on things that cost more when there are economical options available. Although I am not well-off, I am the same way with the way I do things with my money. Guess I am also frugal. That's why I have a flip phone. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Flip phone only here. No need for the expense of a smart phone. I have no apps, etc. but other than this site I don't post anywhere. No FB or twitter.

I have a laptop for when I bring home work like spreadsheets, power point. For quck billpay, I have a tablet.

After sitting in front of a computer all day, I need a break.