Super Contributor

Does anyone else still solely use a flip phone?

My phone contract (100.00 yearly!) is up next week and I am debating on whether or not to finally get areal" phone as my nephew likes to say>  I am not a big phone person; but it seems in this day and age that you need to have the ability to be more in touch with everything and more accessable. It just got me thinking and wondering how many people still rely on a flip phone only. Among my large circle of friends and family there are only two of us>

Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone else still solely use a flip phone?

I think I read somewhere that Apple or someone is working on a foldable smart phone. Wouldn't that be nice? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was reluctant for a long time to switch, but now I'm glad.  I still just use my smart phone for calls texts and some limited social media (like twitter, etc) and have started to make purchases on it.  My husband has been on smart phones since they first came out though. 

I was the last of my family to switch (3 years now)  Nobody else I know still uses the flip phone.  When I had the flip phone, I felt isolated!   I have a new Samsung (S9) and the phones are becoming taller and thinner.  Mine barely fits in to my bag.  Smart phone sales are slumping.  People are keeping them longer as phones are getting better.

Respected Contributor

I still have a flip phone. I only have it for when I am out & have an emergency. I don't need to be tied to a phone 24/7 & donn't need a bunch of garbage I would never use. I have a computer for other things with a screen bigger than a postage stamp.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a Tracfone flip phone and it costs me around $80 a year. It's the only cellphone I have. It's just for emergencies. Otherwise I really don't need a cellphone.

Respected Contributor

I resisted getting any kind of cell phone until I was moving and decided to get one for emergency use.  I got a cheapo flip phone at Target, use Consumer Cellular and I pay $20 month for usage + texting.  It's really all I need.  Have used for 2 1/2 yrs. now.

I still prefer to use my landline to talk to someone, the cell for texting.

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

My husband uses a flip phone solely.  He is not a techie person and only wants to be able to call or receive calls occasionally.  He also does not want to have to carry a larger smart phone. 

Super Contributor

@gellen 

My DH and I started with matching flip phones.  He then got a Smart phone after he dropped it and it broke.  He's had it for a few years now and still has not mastered all the functions.  The ring tones drive me absolutely bonkers and he has the volume turned up to the max and is always on.  He doesn't use his phone for much of anything but is obsessed by the fact that he can check weather, directions, etc.  I, on the other hand. refuse to have a phone for any purpose other than security when I'm out or if our Landline is knocked out.  Don't text but can do it if I want to with the flip phone.  Refuse to be a slave to any tech device--just want simple.  My cell is only turned on when I'm on the road and only a select few friends and family have my number.

Honored Contributor

@gellen  I also have a flip phone with TMobil....and I have a  $100 a year plan like you. I am not a phone person...I have never sent a text in my life. I actually never use my phone..it is just in my purse for an emergency say if my car broke down.  I do not call anyone. I use my land line phone if I need to call.

i do love my iPad🙂

Honored Contributor

Yes, I do.  I have a contract with AT&T.  I'm billed $25 every 3 months, sooner if my balance goes down.  25 cents per minute and I can text.  Can also get onto the internet but no need to use that feature.

I don't need or want a smartphone--I'm smart enough, LOL!!!