Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

The absolute worse time for phone calls started when my DH was close to age 65.  Then it happened all over again with me when I was near that age. The insurance brokers are relentless...and they are breaking the law.  They just don't care.

I was reporting at least 30 calls a day, but it got tiresome.  I wonder if anything actually happens when they are reported.

Now I get about 7-8 calls a day...all spam.  I don't answer, but I sure get tired on having to pause my daily routine to see if the call is important.

I got a spam call that had my sister's number and name showing on the caller ID.  They are using local numbers to get you to answer the phone.

Occasionally, I will answer.  I prefer if the caller is a person and not a recording.  I learned from my youngest son how to keep them on the line and waste their time.  I don't do it often, but when I do, I get great satisfaction.

Honored Contributor

I had both a cell phone and a landline...I was reluctant to get rid of my landline (wanted it in case of power outages) but when I had technical problems with it and AT&T said they no longer repaired the copper lines I would have to hire an electrician that would have to cut into the wall to make repairs, I relinquished my landline.....One of the best things I did! The 7 to 10 robo and telemarketing calls per day stopped....Now I have only gotten one or two robo/telemarketing calls on my cell in a year .......Woman Very Happy

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@KKJ wrote:

I've had relatives that FALL for these phone scams and have had their bank accounts cleaned out by these low-lifes. They seem to prey especially on lonely elderly women. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've heard about that before...it's terrible to take advantage of and swindle old people like that.

Honored Contributor

I don't answer the phone unless the caller ID identifies it as someone I know.

Friends and family know to email me or text me before they call.

Super Contributor

GURL...   YES !  I have a really good app that weeds the trash out.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

I've had SO many phone calls, both scam and legit, I'm about ready to take a sledgehammer to my phone. Smiley Mad

Yes!!  I thought that with the election and the deadline for Medicare advantage programs being over the calls would stop!...but NO!!  The last week or so has been pretty bad.

We keep getting calls that I never answer.  However I noticed calls coming from one particular area so I answered this morning...the wanted to speak with DH concerning insurance.  I told them we weren't interested and to please stop calling.

She had the nerve to ask if I was authorized to decline the call...haha!  I said that I was authorized to tell them to stop calling my home!

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I, too, have Spectrum (fka Charter) but haven't noticed that yet.  That said, however, my spam calls have been maybe one to two a day lately.

I keep getting calls, sometimes more than once a day, from a number in Carson City.  I finally Googled the # and it does say it's spam.  When I first saw that number, and nomorobo didn't stop it, I blocked it so at least the phone doesn't ring and it goes away.

I just really struggle with this stuff.  I pay for these phone numbers.  They have no right using my phone numbers, just like they have no right coming onto my property to solicit me (don't even get me started there!).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, in a way they DO have the right to TRY to call you. But the phone is for YOUR convenience and it's up to YOU to decide whether or not to answer.

Speaking of spam, I recently had what I thought was a spam call, so I picked up the phone and all but yelled "What do you want??!!"

Turns out, it was my doctor and she didn't miss a beat; she said "Well, I'm calling to talk to you." I was so embarassed (and apologized profusely) but she just laughed.

I learned my lesson and I won't be doing THAT again.

@GoneButNotForgotten  Too funny!  I had also gotten disgusted with those calls...at one point last year and a day with many annoying calls  I got another one which I answered with, "Why are you calling?"  and a woman answered and said "Because I can".  I laughed and said, "Well I can hang up" and I did.  I was afraid she was going to call back but she didn't.

Trusted Contributor

The phone calls don't bother me. If I see a phone number that I don't know, I let it roll to voicemail. If it is a legit call there will be a message.  If not, oh well.

Honored Contributor

We were getting a ton of them and they were coming early in the morning and continuing as late as 9:00 p.m. or after --- which I consider too late!  Lately we have not been getting very many (knock on wood).  I tend to not pick any of them up if I do not recognize the number or name, but any more it's often hard to tell.  A lot of them are robo so you can't tell them to stop but a lot of them are actual people calling and DH finally got so annoyed that he started really telling them off and a lot of them did eventually stop!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

Got rid on our land line because of them. Only family has my cell phone number, so I get very few "odd" calls.