Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

No.  I have my landline set to ring only when the call is from a permitted group (family/friends and urgent).  My cell is set to only ring when I receive a call from an allowed contact.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

We have an answering machine so we let it do the answering--LOL!!  Most times the caller hangs up and then we block the number.  

Trusted Contributor

Do you have Spectrum? They recently started identifying spam calls and they automatically block them. It's about time these phone providers started doing something to stop these fradulent or annoying calls. They used to just show the number. I never answered anyway unless I recognize the caller ID.

Esteemed Contributor

I never answer mine, just delete unless I recognized the numbers. 
I have to keep the landline due to the closed captioning and the alarm system. 

Honored Contributor

I have a landline AND  an answering machine.  The ringer is turned OFF.  Has been off for over 30 yrs. Smiley LOL 

Like another poster mentioned, my answering machine answers my calls--->"All calls are screened.  If you want me to pick up or call back, leave a message."

As far as I am concerned, no message, you never called!  Simple as that.  It's rare that I get scam calls.  Maybe once a month if that many.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt wrote:

At some point I actually wanted to just get rid of the landline but the husband wouldn't allow it, because of ADT.   I cannot imagine that you can't just run one of your cell ph#s through ADT, but I've learned when to stop.  He's not that big on listening anymore.

I don't answer ANY of them and, thankfully, nothing gets in the way of that since my life is pretty simple.

It's still annoying and, for reasons I've yet to figure out, it seems like nomorobo stopped catching calls so they ring through.  

There is just no way that something can't be done about this stuff.  They can ring through with fake numbers.  They can auto-dial.  Doesn't matter if you have a private number anymore, due to all the auto-dial stuff.   All of that should be fixable.  

What I DID do, however, was to turn off the voicemail and answering machine so, at least they can't leave a msg.

I get around 5 to 10 scam calls a day - most use the same area code as mine - and the following numbers are usually 2, 3, 4. Most of the calls show made-up female names - occasionally a male name. I let the calls go on my answering machine - and they NEVER leave a message. On a rare occasion, it's a robocall. I used to get annoyed, now I don't care anymore. I have a landline - I've never used a cell phone.

Esteemed Contributor

@Buffalogal47 wrote:

Do you have Spectrum? They recently started identifying spam calls and they automatically block them. It's about time these phone providers started doing something to stop these fradulent or annoying calls. They used to just show the number. I never answered anyway unless I recognize the caller ID.

I have Spectrum and I've seen a few lately that said Spam Call. I didn't understand what that meant. I have a landline.

Honored Contributor

I, too, have Spectrum (fka Charter) but haven't noticed that yet.  That said, however, my spam calls have been maybe one to two a day lately.

I keep getting calls, sometimes more than once a day, from a number in Carson City.  I finally Googled the # and it does say it's spam.  When I first saw that number, and nomorobo didn't stop it, I blocked it so at least the phone doesn't ring and it goes away.

I just really struggle with this stuff.  I pay for these phone numbers.  They have no right using my phone numbers, just like they have no right coming onto my property to solicit me (don't even get me started there!).

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I, too, have Spectrum (fka Charter) but haven't noticed that yet.  That said, however, my spam calls have been maybe one to two a day lately.

I keep getting calls, sometimes more than once a day, from a number in Carson City.  I finally Googled the # and it does say it's spam.  When I first saw that number, and nomorobo didn't stop it, I blocked it so at least the phone doesn't ring and it goes away.

I just really struggle with this stuff.  I pay for these phone numbers.  They have no right using my phone numbers, just like they have no right coming onto my property to solicit me (don't even get me started there!).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, in a way they DO have the right to TRY to call you. But the phone is for YOUR convenience and it's up to YOU to decide whether or not to answer.

Speaking of spam, I recently had what I thought was a spam call, so I picked up the phone and all but yelled "What do you want??!!"

Turns out, it was my doctor and she didn't miss a beat; she said "Well, I'm calling to talk to you." I was so embarassed (and apologized profusely) but she just laughed.

I learned my lesson and I won't be doing THAT again.

Respected Contributor

I've had relatives that FALL for these phone scams and have had their bank accounts cleaned out by these low-lifes. They seem to prey especially on lonely elderly women.