Frequent Contributor

Re: Does anyone bake a King Cake this time of year?

@shoesnbags
I LOVED your response!! I wish we had bakeries here that sold King Cakes! I made mine the day before Mardi Gras. I cut it close. I intended to make it a lot earlier. But it worked out because I was able to cut the 3 strips into 6 strips and then I overlapped (instead of braiding) 2 strips-in order to make 3 smaller King Cakes. I surprised my neighbor with one on Mardi Gras! This is the second time/year I have made a King Cake. I make a cream cheese and cinnamon+sugar filling and coat the top (after it comes out of the oven) with a lemon flavored frosting/glaze-and then top it with the colored sugar.

I did find one at the grocery store and it was the cinnamon sugar filling with regular icing. And it tasted like one of the big breakfast bakery sweet rolls (or whatever it is called) that my granny always bought.

I concluded that the lemon juice, added to the plain icing recipe, with the taste of the King Cake is what makes it.
(Lemon flavor is of course personal preference).

Thank you for sharing and the names of some local bakeries that take orders to send all over the United States🙂
I also found that YouTube has LIVE Mardi Gras parade coverages and NIGHT Parades as well!! Y’all are blessed to have such imbedded traditions celebrated!!⚜️👑